Is an amnio the best way to detect lung growth?

My Doc and I are considering an early delivery by New Year's Eve. My due date is around January 10th and she does not think, provided everything is healthy, that 10 days will hinder us from an early delivery. Not to mention babies in my family are pretty big and she doesn't want to the baby to be so big that she has trouble removing her in a c-section.

I want to be as prepared as I can be and though I hate needles I would have an amnio. Are amnio's the best way to detect or reveal that the lungs are matured enough for a 38.5 week delivery? I'm not worried about down's syndrome as DH and I have decided if our baby has down's then that is something we will face head on. His son is diabetic and mine is autistic, we aren't afraid of any adversity in the baby. We want to make sure the baby and I are both safe for an early delivery should it come available to us.

What else is provided in amnio results?

lilbit022009

Asked by lilbit022009 at 8:57 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• hi there, I had an amnio with my 5th pregnancy(my last one) to determine lung development and yes it is the best way when you're considering an early birth. My daughter was born at 35w6d and it was done solely for my health, not hers (5 c-sections).

My 4th daughter was born at 37w0d and my third was born at 38w0d and both were delivered without an amnio. Your baby is considered full term at 37 weeks and an amnio is not necessary after 37 weeks... unless of course your dr has other concerns.

I was petrified of my amnio... it really did not hurt at all. Just close your eyes, hold your breath and try to concentrate on some other body part. I told myself I would wiggle my toes throughout the whole thing and concentrated on doing just that. My hands hurt more than the amnio because I had a death grip on the bed rails LOL
    Kim3125

Answer by Kim3125 at 12:53 AM on Jul. 19, 2009