How do these verses relate to free will?

"For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate.... Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified." -- Romans 8:29-30

"God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation." -- 2 Thessalonians 2:13

"He hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will." -- Ephesians 1:4-5

"Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began." -- 2 Timothy 1:9

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:00 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Actually if god already knows we do indeed not have free will than it is fate which takes away all chance as well as free will.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:27 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• He knew from the beginning those who would accept Him, or not. Here's another verse to further add to your confusion:

No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. (John 6:44)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 9:07 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Great answer, Lexylex! I agree with you completely.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:12 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• So, if he knew from the begining who would accept him, then the choices you think you're making to follow or not follow God are not really choices because you are only doing what God already knows you're going to do?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:18 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• It sound like we wern't truly givin free will.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:19 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Exactly hot-mama! Where did the idea of Free Will even come from because from the research I've done, that phrase does not appear in the Bible. It might be eluded to, but then there are the verses I posted above that seem to contradict free will... it's so confusing.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:22 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• We have free will, but God knows who will choose Him and who will not. It's really that simple. For instance, if He knew you would choose to steal a pair of shoes (or use crack), does this make Him an accomplice? He knew what you would choose to do, but He doesn't control your choices.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 9:23 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Why do you care, really? I'm not being insolent, I really want to know.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 9:25 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Why do I want to know? Just because I'm not a believer any longer doesn't mean I want to walk around ignorant of why people believe what they do. I like to understand why people think the way they do. Understanding is the key to acceptance. Why does it bother you so much that I question your religion? I'm not allowed to try and understand?

As to your other comment, it makes no sense. I didn't say he would step in and force you to do anything, but he already knows what you're going to do, therefore, you are not actually in control of your actions because they are pre-destined to happen a certain way. Real free will would be someone being able to CHANGE situations by their actions- and since God makes no mistakes and is perfect, there shouldn't be a need for change because everything is going according to plan.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:30 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• It doesn't bother me, I'm used to it. I was just curious is all. You do spend a lot of time asking believers questions. Why don't you ask the Pagans as many questions? Or the other Atheists, or the Gnostics, or Agnostics?

Nothing I say concerning spiritual things will impress you. You've studied,so you know the verse. (1 Corinthians 2:14)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 9:39 AM on Jul. 17, 2009