C-section and breastfeeding

For those that delivered via c-section that nursed, how long did you have to wait till you could nurse your newborn?

I'm having this next baby via c-section and praying that this baby is healthy so I can nurse right away. But I am wondering do they make you wait till your body is clear of the epidural meds? I'm nervous and want everything to go well. I know nothing goes as planned but I want to be prepared as possible.

lilbit022009

Asked by lilbit022009 at 9:08 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• nursed right away after getting out of post op
    you need to be able to wiggles toes etc before going back to your room
    no limitation on nursing at all

if possible at home, put bassinet near your bed and have husband bring you baby at night to feed
    you need to take it slow after, and stay on top of the pain with the pain pills they give you

do not over due, i did and i think that may be the reason i got spinal headaches

boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 9:27 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I think I started to nurse about 2 hours after the csection. That was how long it took for all the drugs to wear off and to be able to sit up in bed.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 9:18 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I had a csection and I had DS at 8pm and nursed him at 11pm. After the csection they will take you to the post op recovry and the baby will go to the nursery until you are ready.
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 9:54 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I had to stay in post- op recovery room for observation which lasted only 30 minutes. They brought me my baby when I was settled into my room on L&D and I fed him as soon as I got him. They never put any restrictions on me because of the spinal block. I was free to feed him when I wanted to. Good luck to you!
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 10:03 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I was also in recovery for about 2 hours, but once in my room my son was brought to me within minutes and we breastfed. Though we did have latching on troubles with him and breastfeeding only lasted about a week. I'm giving it another try with this baby and I again will be having another c-section
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• It was about three hours for me... Recovery time and such.
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 11:42 AM on Jul. 17, 2009