Why do people feel religions are all different when truly in a sense they are all the same?

I mean think about about it with the exeption of the extremest. We all more or less believe the same thing and in the same god.
What religion are you?
What moral does your religion believe?
What did you god say to you?
How different is your religion from other religions?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 9:23 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• lol - I'm a Christian Universalist. This means that I believe in the universal salvation of all mankind. I personally believe all paths are inspired by God and lead to Him, that I reject religious exclusivity and embrace religious plurality/equality, and I also reject the concepts of hell, original sin, blood atonement, etc.
    I recognize that all paths are equal on our way to God, and Christianity is just the one I'm most familiar with/have my foundation in. But I study, and even pull from, other religions as well.
    So I agree with you, that all religions are pretty much the same. I believe they all teach the same universal Truth: that there is Something More (whether its perceived as God/gods, Brahman, the Tao, etc), that we are to do good, not bad, and have compassion and love for our fellow man.
    IMO, the only real difference between religions is we perceive and relate to God.
    So its all a matter of perception/interpretation.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:37 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• i am "recovering catholic"
    i think there is one God
    many religions
    and as many beliefs as there are people
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 9:31 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I minored in Religious studies in college. Obviously you didn't. Your statement is not valid. On what is your statement based? How many religions did you consider while forming your theory? Did you merely choose to focus on Protestant beliefs?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• im a non-traditional satanist, we dont believe in any god. as far as morals go, we just dont believe in harming other people/animals (there are a few other things)....no god so it said nothing to me lol....the only things that i can think of that are different from my religion is that we believe in indulging ourselves in what ever makes us happy (unless it harms others/yourself)....im still tired so sorry if i missed some things, or if this doesn't make sense.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 9:33 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Yes, most believe in the same "god", but the way the get to heaven and the other things they believe in are different.

I also find it ironic that you believe in god and also think it's ok to smoke during pregnancy.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 9:33 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• They only appear to be the same. That Satan is a crafty devil! He knows all of all favorite flavors, so there are lies for all who are ready to believe them. He can't create so he counterfeits. That's why all religion may appear similar. If you aren't Christian, don't believe Jesus is who He says He is, we don't worship the same God.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 9:33 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I minored in Religious studies in college. Obviously you didn't. Your statement is not valid. On what is your statement based? How many religions did you consider while forming your theory? Did you merely choose to focus on Protestant beliefs? Actually this is a study of the human psyche and religion please participate or don't post. And no it is on Mormons, catholic, lutherans, baptists, wiccan,Christians, ext.

hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:38 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• And, anon, there are MANY people who have actually studied the religions of the world who have come to this conclusion - for example, Sri Chinmoy.
    So your comment is not only proud and rude, but as ignorant as you tried to make her appear.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I also find it ironic that you believe in god and also think it's ok to smoke during pregnancy.
    I was wondering when you would find me and bring that up what did you get bored. 1st of no where in my post does it say a word about cigs or even whether or not I believe in god. 2nd off show me one place in te bible where god said thou shalt not smoke tabacco. Stick to the? or get lost.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:44 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• OP, if you want to further understand what I think about Universalism you can look here.

=D

bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:45 AM on Jul. 17, 2009