gun safety

I noticed a quesiton on here about "have you fired a gun" and some started fairly young. I was wondering what your ideas are on when to start gun safety with children. I'm all for teaching children to repsect the weapon but am not sure what age is a reasonable age to start or what type of gun would be best to start with either.

Thoughts? Perferably from those who have experience with teaching youngster how to deal with guns safely.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• My 4year old has shot a gun. With the help of Daddy ofcourse. My husband collects guns, we only have 3 right now, and ofcourse she gets curious and asks us about them. We dont live in City Limits, so he is able to target shoot on our property and always begs to go. The important thing with kids and gun safety is you cannot act like guns are forbidden to them, it makes them even more curious. Whenever she wants to see the gun, we let her, unloaded ofcourse. She knows what a gun does, and what a gun can do to you. She knows only daddy and mommy are supposed to touch them, but that she can if she asks. That way she doesnt go behind our backs and do it.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 9:40 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• My DH has tons of fire arms, all in a gun safe, with the exception of his hand gun that he carries. When our 2nd DD was about 3 or 4 he started teaching her gun saftey. He has taught her that you don't touch a gun unless mommy or daddy is around and then only with premission and help from one of us. She is now 5 and will not touch a gun at all unless she's with one of us. She has her own Daisy BB gun that her and her daddy practice with, and she still won;t use it unless we are there with her. I believe that you should teach your children about gun saftey when you feel they are able to understand. I feel that there would be less gun accidents involving kids if their parents would just teach them. JMHO though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Shooting comes when they are big enough to safely hold/handle the gun by themselves...definitely school age.

Safety starts from the day they are born. Don't hide them, but don't make the guns readily accessible either (that would be insane). Always talk about safety, shooting, etc....don't make it a taboo subject because then when brought up elsewhere it's liable to be of such great interest...and with no safety training...a dangerous situation.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Gun safety needs to be taught around 2 years old. My son has known from around that age that if he sees a gun to TELL A GROWNUP, DO NOT TOUCH THE GUN. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Guns don't normally shot themselves, someone has to pull the trigger. Kids need to be taught how dangerous guns are, especially when not used properly or safely.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:14 PM on Jul. 17, 2009