If you are an only child, do you wish you had a sibling through hard times such as losing a parent?

My LO is an only child, and I would like to have another for that purpose. To give her someone to get through the hard times with.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'm an only child and honestly i'm glad I am. I also plan on my son being an only child. You never know if they're going to get along or how much drama could come up because of a parent passing. Right now all of my great-aunts and uncles are fighting over my grandparents house and money. They were all very close, did everything together and now half of them don't even talk. I wouldn't have another kid just for that reason. There will always be a shoulder for them to cry on and help out but it doesn't have to be a sibling.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 9:56 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I am not an only child but personally speaking during hard times such as that one, there will always be someone around. Either to help u get through the bad time, try and take you for whatever ur "all of a sudden" worth, get some notorietity during the bad time, tell u how u are at fault for what is happening, u name it, someone will be around. A sibling might be there for you or not so don't let that be the basis of your decision.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 9:47 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I am my father's only child. Grieving for him alone was easier for me than grieving with my sister over my mother's death.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:54 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Well i was an only child until i was 17 now im 28. Im glad i have all my brothers and sister,even though they are slightly younger, i love them as much as my own kids.
    LND

Answer by LND at 10:32 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I'm an only child to my mom, who's still alive and well. I have two half brothers on my dad's side. My MIL is an only child and her mom has Alzheimers' and she's obviously had to take care of all of her mom's affairs on her own. I know it has been hard for my MIL, however, she has a lot of support from my FIL and her friends. I know that clearing out her mom's house after she moved her into a nursing home was really hard for her. Her one best friend went out to help her (it was in another state than they live) and then a month or so later I went out and helped her and then my husband came out to help with the yard sale. So even though, she's an only child, she isn't alone. Her mom's sister also has the Alzheimer's and she had three kids. The bad thing going on with them is that one of the three doesn't agree with how to care for their mom. So now they are fighting about it all the time.
    Anonymous