what is the best way to potty train a 2.5 year old boy? he goes on the potty but not all the time.

he has been going when we ask him, but he wont just go on his own. He also will not do a bm on the potty. If he has underwear on he will poop in them, and i know he knows he shouldnt do that!

peysmom1

Asked by peysmom1 at 10:00 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This seems to be common that its harder to get kids to go pee but not poo on the potty.. Does he happen to go poop at regular times during the day where you could just bring him there? my son is only 20 months old and totally not close to ready yet so I am clueless and you will be seeing my post in 6 months lol! good luck!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• When my boys were that age I had asked the doctor about when and how I should start with them. He told me that developmentally girls are usually ready before boys (around 2-21/2). He said not to even try until they were three. I took his advise (sort of) I started with my oldest about a month before he turned three. I tried pullups and underwear but he would pee in them. However, when he would come out of the tub and run around with nothing on he wouldn't go. So, I decided to let him just wear a long shirt and nothing else. That worked like a charm. It took about a week or so and he was finally ready to wear the underwear without going in them. With my second son I waited until just a few days before he was three and there was no "training" involved at all. I told him he was old enough to wear big kid underwear (he agreed after his favorite animals had a pair of their own just like him) and that was it! Good Luck!
    momofthreekjs

Answer by momofthreekjs at 1:29 PM on Jul. 17, 2009