Are there any good teaching tools or methods for teaching a preschooler how to tell time???

she knows what it means when the little hand is on one of the numbers and also when the big hand is on the 12 or the 6... I don't know how to explain the rest with out confusing her... can u help???!!!

GoofyMama24

Asked by GoofyMama24 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• As a teacher, I understand you want to your child to learn all they can. However, some things are just not developmentally appropriate for them. I teach 1st grade and we work on time to the hour and the half hour. That is it. And we do this at the end of the year. Reinforce time to the hour and half hour. The next step would be for them to count by 5's around the clock (minutes). Congrats that your child knows as much as they do!
    FlowerMom495

Answer by FlowerMom495 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• They have watches out for kids that help. The watches are color coded with the "past and befores" you can pick them up at Walmarts, K'marts, Targets, etc. They are usually more plain faced instead of character inspired, cost around $15.

higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 10:31 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Oh wow really? I didn't know that, I'll have to check them out. Thank you.
    GoofyMama24

Answer by GoofyMama24 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Thank you! I was surprised myself! She stares at the clock and at 5 o'clock she'll tell her teacher at her preschool that it's time for mommy to come! lol I have to make sure I'm not held up b/c she'll know I'm late!! Thank you for the advice... I don't want to drill it into her I just wanted to know how to go about it, so thank you.
    GoofyMama24

Answer by GoofyMama24 at 7:35 PM on Jul. 17, 2009