How to get the kids from slaming the doors

I have Four boys and all of them seem to love to slam the doors when they get mad.
I was thinking about just takening the doors off but would this really help out??

dragonfly889

Asked by dragonfly889 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You could, I also know that in the baby proofing section at the store there is a thing that hooks on the side to help baby not pinch fingers in the door. It stops the door from closing all the way. Depends on their age because it is easy to take off and on. Maybe put it up high on the door??? GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I have threated to take the doors off the hinges before and I would too if they didnt stop. I was always told its a privelege to have your door shut.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 10:58 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I have 3 boys so I know how you feel. My hubby I'm sure would take away the doors too. lol. I don't know what ages your kids are, but my older two are 6 and 4 1/2, and we do a "x" system. They earn an X if they do something they shouldn't (like slamming a door) we usually give them one warning. But then if they get 3 x's it's an early bedtime. They also have sticker charts for when they are good to earn "free" awards around the house on weekends that way it's not all focused on the bad. Good luck. You could take things away when they don't stop, like video games or tv time.
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 11:10 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Take the doors off. Can't slam doors if they aren't there. Make them earn the doors back.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:33 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I would definitely take the doors.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 11:37 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I would take the doors off! In fact my daughter (who is 6) has already slammed the door one too many times and she has been forewarned that the very next time she does it again, the door is gone.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:55 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Glue a sponge to the frame of the door.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 11:52 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• My father took my door off the hinges and that worked for me! After about a month with no door, it was not an issue when I got it back.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 12:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• My son slammed the door one day and my hand was in it! He did not realize it was there we were moving in but u can bet ur bottom dollar the next time he did it that door was off and out under the carport for a week and he has only once done it in 61/2 yrs and cried when i brought in the screw driver and put it on the table as a warning. my other boys have not once tried it b/c they have heard the story. lol
    Jessica365

Answer by Jessica365 at 3:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• We used to have a problem with my dd slamming doors. After trying many things, we finally got creative. When she slammed the door, she then had to open & close the door properly 100 times. If she slammed it during her punishment, she had to start over. it didn't take long for her to stop slamming the doors.
    busygoddess

Answer by busygoddess at 2:21 AM on Aug. 13, 2009