Why do people act like you sentencing you children to death if you don't breast feed?

I NEVER did and my DD is health 2 1/2 yr old and also has ALWAYS been ahead.

amommy2a2yrold

Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 10:30 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• some people will say mean things to a mom or mom to be
    it seems there is no boundary when the subject is child raising
    these same people would never think of being so rude when the subject is anything else
    and i have no idea why this is

do what is right for you and yours
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 10:35 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• To each their own. I also did not BF, and my kids are fine. I think some of it is well intentioned advice and some are just being mean. Be secure in your decisions and feel good about your parenting. We all want the same thing for our kids, some people are just bossy. And yes, i know the stats and benefits, but you do not know my story so you can not tell me what is right for me. Ditto the vax things, I do and I am glad, but I do not know enough about you to tell you what you should do!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 10:35 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• who knows. i breastfeed, but i definitely don't judge mothers who don't do it. that's just silly. its about doing what's best for you and your baby. for some people, that's breastfeeding. for others it's pumping or using formula. if you are happy and comfortable, chances are- your baby is too!
    some people are just self righteous and can't see past their own opinions.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 10:38 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Some people are so sure their opinion is the only *right* one and they feel they have to let everyone know it. Best thing is to just smile, nod, and ignore :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• There are benefits to BFing there is no question of that, all research back's that up. But your right a parent should do what works for thier family, and as natural as Bf'ing is, it isn't easy and without proper support most woman will try then give up. Does that mean mom's who choose formula are bad mom's and thier child will be dumb...no. Honestly you can't tell the kids who had BM from the kids who didn't, and that's true in my house.

The problem is that some people have very strong convictions and short of doing what they would do, you are wrong.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:42 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I don't know. It's like they want to feel better about their choices. I just ignore them.
    I formula fed all 4 of my kids and they are all healthy and smart and normal. My youngest 2 kids (6 1/2 and 3) have never seen a doctor for anything but well visits. My older two had a couple sick visits but not for anything serious...a couple cases of pink-eye and my son had a sty on his eye that wouldn't go away. The last time my son saw a dr for a sick visit was when he was like 2 1/2 (he's almost 8 now). My oldest had pink-eye when she was 7 1/2 (2 years ago).
    When they do get sick it's always just a runny/stuffy nose, cough and maybe a sore throat. Just the common cold. They've never had a single ear infection, no strep, no flu, etc. The breastfed babies I know get way sicker then my kids do.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:42 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Yeah some are just so fanatical that "breast is best" and anyone who doesn't is less than a mom. It drives me crazy. I believe breastfeeding is best, but sometimes for a variety of reasons it just doesn't work out, and moms who FF should not be insulted or made to feel they aren't as good a mom because of it.

Reality is what is right for you and your baby is what you will do and it's no one else's business or right to judge!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:55 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Some moms are so unhappy and miserable they bash other moms to feel better. My sister was a breast nazi. She learned the hard way breast is not always best. She told me point blank I was a bad mom because I formula fed. She breast fed her last child and when her daughter was 3 months old had severe PPP. She needed treatment but would not stop breastfeeding so she could take the meds she so desperately needed. She tried to drown her daughter thankfully her husband caught her in the act. My sister cannot see her children at all she is in prison for attempted murder and will be for 8 more years. In this case breast was not best my sister changed her tune. I feel for her but my sister knew the risks. She had PPD with her first two and then PPP with her next and nearly harmed her next to last. She told the hospital she was going to get back on her meds she did not. She took a chance and hurt her child.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Hey as long as you're feeding your kid and not starving them people should be happy!
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 11:24 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Anon 11:23, your sisters PPP was not a result of breastfeeding though. There are plenty of meds she could have safely taken but I'm guessing she chose not to. Don't blame her condition on BFing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:28 AM on Jul. 17, 2009