Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

just curious..

If you marry someone that already has a child from another relationship and you decide to adopt the child do you have to go through background check and pay money. Like how does that work?

Answer Question

Asked by MomAt15woah at 10:41 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Adoption

Level 4 (32 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • im not sure, but im curious too! good question! :)

    Answer by mama_moonsong at 10:44 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

  • I know someone in this situation, and I know it costs money, I think it was about 125 bucks. But in this situation the real dad never signed the birth certificate so it was simpler. If the real parents are in the picture they have to sign away rights I think.

    Answer by Hannah22 at 11:22 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

  • Yes, you do. But it may depend on the state. But in Texas step parent adoption works the same way. Homestudy and all! Sometimes people can't adopt thei SO's child because they failed the homestudy because of something on their record.

    Answer by babycakes254 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

  • Yes, you absolutely do. You must qualify for and complete all the same steps as any other adoption.

    Answer by MommyAddie at 5:28 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

  • I would guess, it surely varies by each state, in Missouri, you do not! If you marry their parent, and there is no contest from the other parent(which is th only way you can adopt your step-child), then your attorney draws up the paperwork, and it is taken in front of a family judge. At least 15 yrs ago this is the way it was for me and my husban. Wishing you luck, and contact an attorney, they will advice you on what the law is in your state. Blessings, C.J.

    Answer by ceejay1 at 6:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

  • It's called a Intrafamily Adoption and it is VERY expensive and if the other parent contest it then it takes longer. You HAVE to have a lawyer. You have to go through what it called a "Home Study" to see the living space and then they ask you and your husband questions about you life, then they take you separately and ask you about your childhood and the way your going to discipline and stuff like that. The main thing to a intrafamily adoption is the "other parent" as to be at least 12 months behind on child support and they haven't tried to have ANY contact with the child for at least 6 months. Good luck.

    Answer by Mrs.AO2 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

  • Its all dependent on your state. In FL , for my husband to adopt my girls, we obviously had to be married. All I need to do is get my ex to sign over his rights, and file adoption paper work. BLAM, all done!

    Answer by navyma23 at 4:32 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

  • You go down to your local court house & request papers for a step-parent adoption. They will also give you the instructions & any neccessary steps.

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:58 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.