How do I crib train my 1yr old to sleep in crib after co-sleeping for so long?

My son is 11 months old, still nursing, and sleeps with me. Is it too late to crib train him? I have tried once and failed, 30 min of crying and that was it for me. I have two girls that also co slept and neither of them were ever in a crib, I eventully just put them in twin beds around the age of two. I would really like to be able to put my son in a crib before then.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son coslept for the first year and I nursed him at night the entire time. Once he started moving too much we decided to change things. I started by cutting off night feedings. When he would want to nurse I would let him for a min then switch with pacifier or quit all together. This took few weeks until he would sleep without nursing. although you could probably skip that step. We started putting him to bed at same time every night and if he would cry we would go get him then put him back after a min or two then we would just stand in the room with him and hold his hand or stand next to the crib. I once spent few hours sitting next to the crib. I wont let him cio. After just a few days he was sleeping thru the night! He had not been sleeping thru the night with us. Now he goes to bed at 730 everynight and sleeps til 630. Its been great and sometimes I wish I would have done it earlier.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 10:54 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Skip the crib and get a toddler bed. He just has to get used to it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• You might have better luck trying at 15mo.

One Step Ahead has a travel bed that is like a very large padded shoe box or you could try a toddler bed; both in your room--it's lonely being by yourself and not able to get to mom & dad.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 1:50 PM on Jul. 17, 2009