I can't get to sleep at night! Help!

I have had bigtime sleep problems the last 3 nights in a row. I either can't fall asleep or I do but then wake up in a minute or two, feeling wide awake. This goes on for like 3 hours and then I give up and take a Lunesta pill and then fall asleep eventually and have to get up and then I feel like shit the rest of the day. I'm worried about getting hooked on the Lunesta. Has anybody else gone through this or had experiences with sleeping pills?

JustAMom2008

Asked by JustAMom2008 at 10:50 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Health

• Lunesta is a non-narcotic sleep aid. It is not addictive.

If you're going to take it, though, take it right when you go to bed, because it is designed to get you the full 6-8 hours of sleep. So if you don't get that much sleep, you'll wake up nice and groggy with that great medicine hangover. Been there, done that, didn't want the t-shirt.

But insomnia problems usually stem from other things. Usually, mine is because my thoughts are still racing. I get stressed out and can't stop my brain from going. Most people get that "brain won't stop" feeling.

One of the most important things to get your sleep back on track is to ensure you go to bed at the same time every night. That is SO important. Other things are to not eat three hours before bed, don't work out after 3pm, don't take a nap after 3 pm (if you can, don't nap at all), don't take any multivitamins at bedtime (they contain B vitamins that help perk you up)
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 10:57 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• ...cont...

...and don't stay in bed if you haven't fallen asleep within half an hour. Your bed is for sex and for sleeping only. Don't sit and read in bed or watch TV. That makes your body get in the habit of being awake in bed.

If you can't get your sleep patterns changed within a week or two, go see your doctor. There may be something else there that no one else here will ever know about.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 10:59 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Thanks, Kitty, that is real good advice. I have cut out watching TV after 8 pm, but i do like to read in bed, maybe that's part of the problem. Sex before bed also seems to perk me up so then its hard to sleep right after so I stopped that but hubby wasn't too happy bout it, as u can imagine...
    JustAMom2008

Answer by JustAMom2008 at 11:01 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• My husband has been having problems lately, he doesn't like taking pills, but he is going to try melatonin. It's a natural hormone we produce, but taking a natural supplement before bed can help you sleep without any side effects, and you don't feel lousy the next day!

Some info is at www.melatonin.com
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:07 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Sex will perk you up because of the endorphines that are released during sex. Definitely do morning sex instead, or even lunch time sex or mid afternoon sex on the weekends if you can manage it.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 11:07 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Melatonin is great for some people... For people like me, it gave me horrible, vivid nightmares.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 11:23 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Valerian root is non-addictive and won't leave you feeling droopy or hung over in the morning

Answer by rkoloms at 2:23 PM on Jul. 17, 2009