Anyone in the vending machine business, or know someone in the business?

I am looking for some information on stats on this or even some contacts. My in laws took a second mortgage out on their home a few years ago to start their own vending business. My mil had just retired and my fil is close to it and I guess they wanted to keep steady income coming in on top of their 401k pensions. So they did this religiously for about 2 years and as employers began cutting back on their employees, their profit became less and less. It was just too much for them so they closed up shop. All their supplies, ie: candy bars, chips, cokes, ect, they gave to us and my bil and sil, but the machines, he put in the back behind the garage and was going to take them to the dump. Im always looking for ways to make money, so I told him I would take them and sell them. I was getting ready to put them on ebay and now I wonder if I could make it work. Or find someone local to buy them. Does anyone have experience in this??

momofsaee

Asked by momofsaee at 11:12 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• My mom had 10 machines a long time ago. The hard part was finding good locations to put the machines. she had a few locations (outside at a hotel) where the machines were vandalized. some places didn't have enough employees. In a few factories she would come at break time and got to know the employees. they would leave her notes...like tiredof skittles we want runts. LOL that helped cause she could put what the like in there. Always have something in there that they can eat for breakfast too. I know they didnt make much money for the work she put in. she had load the candy bars in coolers so they didnt melt when she was filling machines...
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:21 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• thanks ria....thats exactly what I want to know. My in laws worked very hard on this and I dont think they made much money, so I am not thinking I could do better, but i am looking for the best person to contact about purchasing these machines from me. I am not sure if ebay is the best route. I dont need it to support me either, if I choose to try and work it. I need a little bit of income to pay for my daugters private school tuition. About $700 mo.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:24 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Yeah I know a few people, they spent somuch money on machines and made a few bucks a month, lol. I have one of there smaller m&m/skittles ones in my basement for eating, lol.

I'd suggest trying to sell the machine son craigslist or posting them in the paper.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:30 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I would suggest Craigslist to sell them or just contact some of the local suppliers of chips, etc and see if they know anyone who might want to buy them.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 11:37 AM on Jul. 17, 2009