how do you know what your party actually believes in these days?

The American Conservative Union asked FedEx for a check for $2 million to $3 million in return for the group’s endorsement in a bitter legislative dispute, then flipped and sided with UPS after FedEx refused to pay.

For the $2 million plus, ACU offered a range of services that included: “Producing op-eds and articles written by ACU’s Chairman David Keene and/or other members of the ACU’s board of directors. (Note that Mr. Keene writes a weekly column that appears in The Hill.)”
The conservative group’s remarkable demand — black-and-white proof of the longtime Washington practice known as “pay for play” — was contained in a private letter to FedEx , which was provided to POLITICO.

The letter exposes the practice by some political interest groups of taking stands not for reasons of pure principle, as their members and supporters might assume, but also in part because a sponsor is paying big money.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:28 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/17/business/17union.html
    as dems drop part of bill that favored unions,,,,,,What was paid for and what is principle?
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:29 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• how do you know what your party actually believes in these days?

I don't belong to "a" party.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• thats the joy of not belonging to a party; i dont have to worry about what they think or do. i cant even begin to understand the crap both sides do on a daily basis...nothing makes sense on either side haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:00 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• What are the core values that you think YOUR party ACTUALLY believes in?

and does their track record prove that?
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:43 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Fiscally Conservative;
    Capitalism/Free Markets; and
    "Accountability/Responsibility"

At least this WAS what Republicans once stood for....not sure I beleive them now...which is why ONCE AGAIN I'm changing my voter status, this time to Independent!!! If Republicans swing back to their core beliefs (above), they might win me over!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:03 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• lol. . . what's my party? I must have said 8,760,000 times, none of those jackasses represent me. Not one.

That's why I don't get the trust in Obama, either. He was a rookie who voted present more often than not, promised transparency and didn't deliver. I could go on. I think that he managed to connect with his voters on an emotional rather than political lever (as in, he cashed in on Bush hatred), so it's more difficult for people who really like him to see that he is just more of the same.

Conservatives don't have a party anymore. Especially those who are primarily FISCALLY conservative. I'm leaning libertarian, and still having some internal moral debates on their stance on abortion. (not trying to start drama, I believe what I believe. don't hate people who believe otherwise)

I'm also talking to some different sorts of people who are running for rep this year. con't
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:11 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• There are a lot of us who have no representation in the current gov. I find the last couple of years and the near future absolutely frightening. The fed is messing with stuff that they should just stay out of. The economy would have adjusted, but they keep tinkering, and they caused a lot of the problems to begin with.

Yeah, I want CHANGE, lmao. Not Obama change, not Pub change, real change, a responsible government that listens to the people. Term limits would be a good start.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:15 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I am a fiscal Conservative, a social liberal, and a registered Libertarian.

This gives me the right to complain about both the Dems & Reps, and claim none. LOL
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• The accepted way to know what a Party believes in is to go read the Party platform on the Party's website.

I have no idea how the ACU mentioned above is connected with the Libertarian or Republican parties.

The word "Conservative" in its title creates the assumption that it is a conservative group - but lots of socialist tyranny parties have the word "democratic" in their names, so what's in a name?

The fact is, gov't is not a club. Citizens should not view laws and rights and election campaigns as popularity contests. My vote has to go for what a person has been doing with their evergy, my judgment of a proposed law must be based on what the law is going to do. I can listen to experts who have shown themselves to be trustworthy, but not because they are Democrat or Republican ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:56 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• am a fiscal Conservative, a social liberal, and a registered Libertarian. This gives me the right to complain about both the Dems & Reps, and claim none. LOL

I have been told by a few women who actually know me,  I should look into registering Libertarian. My only problem is not being part of one of the two major parties leaves me out of THEIR primaries....but I should check it out

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:03 PM on Jul. 17, 2009