Ok, I KNOW I am opening up a BIG CAN right now, but I really want to figure this thing out....

Its getting close to time for flu shots....do you get your kids one? Do you think they help at all?

Or do you think its unnecessary torture?

Do you think they are harmful?

I know this is a HOT HOT topic, I will remove the question if it cant be debated reasonably. I am asking b/c I am on the fence this year....hoping your posts will help me decide.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• i do not get my son the flu shot. i have never had one myself. i dont really have a reason as to why we choose not to get it (lol). i had him vaccinated so thats not the reason. i guess its because i have never had a flu shot and never had the flu (knock on wood) so i choose not to get him the shot too. i hope this makes sense....lol. i have never thought about why we dont get them-we just dont :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• my daughter has never had a bad reaction to any shot
    except
    the flu shot last year
    she got a hard lump and red where it was given
    we took her in to doc and got some steriod cream for it, took a week to clear
    we did not give her the 2nd one in the 2 shot flu series
    and she will not get one this year
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 11:44 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I think it's a matter of personal preference. You have to take into consideration that the shot is for a specific strain of flu - usually based on the CDCs calculation of which stain will be most prevalent this year. Every time I've had my flu shot and then got the flu (which is often) I always get told that I have a strain different from what the shot was given for. I stopped taking the shot - because I always seem to get the flu anyhow.

Now, I always got the shot for my kids. I'll take chances with myself, but not my kids. If I had a 1 in 10,000 chance of keeping them from getting sick - I'd go for it. Unless your child is allergic to eggs, or you have a religious conflict, I wouldn't worry about it. Talk to you pediatrician and decide together if it's worth it.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:45 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• All I can tell you is weighj the risks for YOUR family. For mine, flu shots every one of us every year. Why? Because I have a severely immunosuppressed child living in my home. A common runny nose and sniffles for his sister turns to pneumonia for him every time. I also have a sister we see often who has Lupus. Because of the meds she has to take she basically has little to no immune system either. We do it to do whatever we can to protect our family. None of us have ever had any side effects or adverse reactions.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:45 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• the dr always told me too, but i never did. part of the reason was because i never got on, and the one year i did, i actually got the flu. my kids rarely get sick. they have a lot of ear infections, but those arnt contagious, thats a whole other category. and yes i do vaccinate for the other stuff
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 11:46 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I have never had the flu shot, not as a child and not even when I was pregnant. As for my son, he was born in May '08 and was given the flu shot when he was around 6 months old. I felt that he was still really young, and his immune system hadn't fully developed, so I agreed to give him that one. But going forward, I don't think I'll give him one since DH nor I get it. I'm sure my ped will argue with me, LOL, but oh well.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I don't know one way or another I do it because that's what every one in my family has done. If you really think about it though it could be harmful I mean you injecting a virus into your kid to protect from the virus. Either way you go you have to live with some down fall on it. If you get them you deal with a crabby kid and may inadvertently harm your kid. If you don't get it you could harm you child education even though you can now enroll your kids in school with out up to date shots. if some one in the school gets an illness your child misses days out of an attempt at keeping them safe. Which inadvertently hurt there grades and such. If you ask me it is truly a lose lose scenario.

hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• We don't get it. We've never had the flu, the real flu, and we're all relatively healthy so it doesn't make a lot of sense for us to get it. My youngest did get it when he was a baby because my older two were in school and brought home a lot of bugs, but now he's older and has a good immune system. He'll actually be going to preschool this fall and will be bringing home his own bugs. Three kids in school, I work in a school with special needs kids and hubby works, we bring home a lot of bugs, but like I said we're all pretty healthy and have never had a problem. Plus it always seems like they're talking about at shortage of the flu vax and I'd rather leave it for the people who really need it.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• We get one every year. My daughter hasn't had the flu, so while I don't know if it worked, it certainly didn't NOT work. Does anyone actually think feeling a pinch for 1 second and having a sore arm for a day is TORTURE?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:54 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Only one of my kids get's it on a regular bases and that's because she has one kidney and both of her doc's feel it is in her best interest to have it every year. I am pregnant and my doc had me get one, he felt it was better safe then sorry and I listened to him mainly cause he isn't one to push the shot, if you want it ..fine, if not..fine. So I listened to him.

I don't think the flu shot is something everyone should get, but I think each family has to figure out if there family would benefit from it and go form there.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:58 AM on Jul. 17, 2009