How old were you when you learned to do your own laundry? How old were your kids?

Just wondering. I remember knowing how to load the washer and dryer when I was 8 or 9 but didn't start doing my own laundry until I was 14.

Yesterday I taught my 9yo daughter how to load the washer and dryer and turn it on. She did 2 loads yesterday (one of her clothes mixed with her brother and sister's clothes...they share a room so all their clothes are mixed together...and a load of her 3yo sister's clothes because they were in the basement). They then folded all their clothes and put them away. I'm so proud.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 11:42 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• I had to do my own laundry and that of my littlest brothers and sisters when I was 12. My father took off and Mom had to work..gotta do whatcha gotta do. I taught both of my boys at 12. From that point on they were responsible for keeping their own colors and jeans washed. I did whites, sheets and towels. People have said to me. Why? thats so mean making them do your chores. My answer is We are a FAMILY. Everyone has responsibilities to keep things running smoothly. However, my main motivation for teaching them to do laundry, and cook, and clean bathrooms, was so they could take care of themselves instead of feeling like they had to have a woman to do it for them. When my youngest went to college I was proved right. He made nice pocket money doing laundry for the other guys who didn't have clue one . .
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:52 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I didn't do my own laundry until 16 or 17. My mom did it almost until I left home. I really regret her thinking it was her job to do ALL the laundry, because:

1) I didn't know how to do my own laundry WELL until I was about 19.
    2) She now berates me because I don't do my fiance's laundry. I only do my daughter's laundry and mine. But the two of us have enough laundry for about 15 people LMAO!

My fiance learned how to do his laundry around age 5. He has two sisters and three brothers, so they all had to be somewhat self-sufficient at an early age. We intend to teach our daughter the same.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:45 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I think my DH was a "tween" when he learned. He has 2 brothers, and was raised by his mom who had 2 jobs to support the family. So they had to learn how to cook for themselves, and clean, when they were younger than most.

As for myself, I don't really remember doing much laundry until I moved out on my own. My mom stayed home and would take care of the house, including doing the laundry and ironing. It's funny because DH and I lived there when our condo sold, but we hadn't purchased a house yet. She would do our laundry, and we had been married for a few years already. I told her she didn't have to, we were fully capable of doing it, but she would refuse and say "I need to finish a load of whites, just give me yours" ... LOL :)
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 11:46 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I think I was 9 or 10 when I started doing my own laundry. My daughter's 2, so I haven't taught her yet. I think she'll need to learn to read first, and be tall enough to reach the buttons.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:49 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• my mom thought doing your own laundry was a waste. so we put all of our clothes in the same hamper and just did loads together, i think i was in middle school when i finally did my own clothes...she mostly had me do towels and sheets so i wouldnt mess up the colors...i do all the laundry for my house now.....my mom thinks i Spoil my SO, but i think i know how to keep my family in tact moreso than she does **shrug**......I plan on teaching my son how pretty young...and having him help just so he knows what to do.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I was about 15. Even then my mom did some of it and I'd just do loads if there was something specific I wanted.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 11:53 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I was 9 yrs old.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 12:00 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I totally agree with grandma, my kids do chores because they are part of the family and therefore have to help take care of the house. Plus they make 90% of the messes so they should clean them up.
    And I also want to teach them young because I refuse to have one of those kids that goes off clueless to college. I wish I had been more ambitious and outgoing. I probably could have made a ton of money doing laundry for other kids in my dorm.
    Most of them had never done laundry before, especially the guys. I had at least one guy ask me what to do every week I did laundry for the first few months. They would look so lost and confused and I'd show them how to load the machine, put the money in, turn it on, etc. I don't understand how their parents could let them out into the world with out these basic skills.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:03 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I was probably 4 or 5 learning to fold clothes, sheets, towels, etc. By 6th grade I was helping with the laundry and by 8th grade doing my own laundry. My son is 13 and I do all the laundry, he helps fold it. It is definately time to teach him how to do laundry.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I learned to do my laundry when I was 9, I learned to fold and switch over when I was 6/7.

My kids learned to sort when they were toddlers, and started switching over around age 3/4 (love front loaders), they started folding around 5/6, and my oldest is 8 and can start the machines, so I'd say 8/9 (when they're tall enough to reach) they have the whole process down.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 12:27 PM on Jul. 17, 2009