What's your LEAST favorite thing about your religion/set of beliefs?

I dislike how bitter and militant some atheists can be. It really slaps a bad image on us.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 11:50 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i hate the "im better than you" smug a lot of Christians walk around with. like being Christian makes them better than everyone else around them. its the "holier than thou" disease haha

i also cant stand the careless attitude some Christians have towards other religions. since they dont believe in it, it must be stupid & has no value at all.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:53 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• i agree with the pp. i dont like how christians seem untolerant of things (gay marriage, other religions, the choice to not believe). i dislike the way it seems like some christians seem to push the religion subjects and try to force others to believe the same way they do. *if i have offended anyone im sorry but im being honest
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• The bad rep atheists get from the more militant ones. It's rather interesting how reactions differ from others when they hear I am atheist as opposed to simply "I don't believe in God". Really I'm saying the same thing but you say atheist and suddenly you're a communist, hateful devil worshipper, secretly trying to wipe other religions off the face of the earth. Say "I don't believe in God" and it's simply "Why is that?"
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:04 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I dislike....
    -the pricetag and disclaimers some groups have placed on salvation when it is clearly meant to be God's free gift to anyone who would have faith in him and accept it.

-the rituals and various doctrines that I feel dictact unnecessary beliefs/actions of their followers when it really should be up to the individual and their relationship with God.

-some of the followers. The followers that scream God's laws, fire and brimstone from the hilltops and completely ignore Christ's commandments to love thy neighbor.

-the inability of some groups to interpret past time/era specific texts in the Bible and require 1st (or earlier) century customs for 21st century women as a part of their doctrine.

(cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• These are my honest "dislikes." On the other hand, I believe that if someone arrives at their conclusions with an earnest desires towards God and a heart honestly desiring to seek what pleases him best, the best way that they know how, that God is still pleased with them, whether or not they're "right" or if their interpretation is being carried out as "perfectly as he intended."

(I am Christian BTW).

I also agree with Cait and Kristi. Just as some atheist tend to have a "militant phase" some christians also have a "holier-than-thou phase" that they go through. I usually associate this with immaturity not only in life, but in their spiritual life as well. *not trying to offend, there are ALWAYS acceptions to the rule but this is definitely something I personally, have noticed. Just like militant phases ruin it for atheists, snobbish phases ruin it for Christians lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Lack of a social structure. Nonbelievers don't have a church, synagogue, or other place of worship to meet and share their common interests.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• mines more a mix of beliefs.. because there are parts I agree with (belief wise) as parts I don't agree with (belief wise)..

I really need to write a journal entry to copy and paste to better explain it, because there is not enough room in these boxes.........ergh!. anyways.. pm me for more specifics.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:59 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• i don't dislike anything about my religion. i hate the misconception others have about my religion. (satanism)

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I love MY version of my religion, LOL.

I just hate some other Christians perspectives on other Christians that don't believe the same. For example, when I say that I support Gay rights or that I don't believe in Satan or Hell, I automatically get bashed and told that I "do not follow the bible" and am therefore "not a true believer".

I wish that everyone would accept the fact that all you have to do to be a TRUE Christian is love and accept Jesus. That's all there is to it.

I also agree with, okmanders, SThompson21, and (as usual, LOL) NovemberLove
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I agree with Kristi, but in my experience, too many people (and, usually christians) will take a simple I'm atheist (or I don't believe in god) as just as much a "militant stance" as saying something much more aggressive or scathing.  When that happens, it can be really hard to not just go on and be honest about what you really think, you know?  Especially when those same people feel a carte blanche need to stomp all over you with their beliefs.  But since I found out I'm autistic, though, I have recently started to have more dread of my atheism coming out in public, because now I worry my wiring issues make me a lousy representative for the public image of the "team."

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 2:00 PM on Jul. 17, 2009