HELP!!

My 2 week old daughter fusses constantly at night, we're lucky to get 2 or 3 hours TOTAL sleep on most nights.
We have gripe water ( which we use sometimes and it DOES help), Ovol, we've switched her to soy formula ( doctor suggested), I always make sure she's changed and fed...but still she fusses and cries.
Lately we've run into another problem ( well, i don't know if it is a problem..), she will only eat 1/2 oz or one oz if we are lucky at a time then stop eating, if we insist on the full bottle she just pukes. She's eating about an oz every 1 or 2 hours and we're going through formula like crazy! How can i get her to eat her 2-3 oz at feeding, on a normal schedule ( every 3-4 hrs)?
How can i console her between feedings?

AshleyRoseG

Asked by AshleyRoseG at 12:00 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds to me like she might have reflux... which would be painful and cause the fussiness and puking.
    Something you can do at home to help with reflux... burp very often, keep her upright after every feeding for at least 30 mins... you can hold her or put her in something with an incline like a bouncy seat. Avoid the car seat, it actually puts more pressure on the tummy making it worse. Do small frequent feedings. Have her sleep at an incline... prop her crib matress with a pillow under it... and then make a little blanket roll under her bottom so she doesn't slide down.
    Ask the doctor about making some more changes... maybe something like Enfamil AR would work, or a more hypoallergenic formula like Nutramagin.
    Other things that help with a fussy baby... a nice tight swaddle makes them feel safe and cozy, white noise, vibrations and rocking
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:06 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• well, she may be having a problem tolerating the soy formula - it could be cause her gas which is why she isn't eating very much. Just curious as to why your doctor recommended to switch to soy? Soy happened to make my son very gassy, although we kept using it as he really didn't tolerate the regular formula's. GOOD - keep using the gripe water!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:08 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• What I had to do was put mine on a really rigid schedule - Sleep 4 hrs, eat, up 4 hours, eat and repeat. It took her some getting used to but when she was she started sleeping through the night within about a month and would eat 4 to 8 oz at her meal times. When she was starting out and didn't want to eat that much I would feed her what she would then burp her and try to get her to eat more until she had at least 4 oz.

Consoling her took some creativity, sometimes it was gas way down low and burping her normally couldn't get it so I'd have to lay her on her back and gently rock her legs back and forth so her thighs were almost touching her tummy to push the bubbles out. Other times the swing would help and I'd wrap a blanket around her so she wouldn't fall over.
    R_Kay

Answer by R_Kay at 12:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Oh I totally agree with Amijanell! My son had terrible colic and the tighter the swaddle the better he slept - even though he acted like he didn't want to be swaddled! white noise like a fan also worked for us ! I still use it for him!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:10 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Its sound like GERD. My daughter had it is was a nightmare. U need to get her a prescription from doc. I use infant gaviscon the best thing in the world, u do not need a prescription but it is only available in the uk, u can buy it online though. I gave 1 sachet every bottle and my daughter started feeding her whole bottle and stopped throwing up. The first day she had it she slept 12 hours during the night and she was only 3 months, she used to wake up at least 5 times during the night screaming in pain.
    I would seriously consider the gaviscon if u r not comfortable with it then ask ur doz for a prescription, o and I got all my formula for free because my daughter had this disease. Ask ur doc it is through apria health care/
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 12:13 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• kirsty mcgrail nailed it, your dd sounds like she has gerd(gastrio esophogeal reflux disorder) my son has it nd just was put on prevacid for it and hes a new kid. The meds for it are perfectly safe and she needs help. If it is gerd, the stomach acids arfe eating at her throat and thats why she cant eat. Call doc and ask about reflux and gerd. The soy formula is good choice because it actually helps with fussiness and gas, worked like a miracle for my lil man. Hang in there mom, I know its so frustrating....call her doc and gl.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:56 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• What is gripe water? My son was the same way when he was an infant. I breastfed him and he wouldn't eat much at one time. I had to wake up many times during the night and early morning to give him frequent feedings. When he was put on formula we ended up putting him on soy because he was allergic to milk. He would projectile vomit after feedings. The advice about having your baby upright after feedings is the best advice. We had to do the same. I would consult your pediatrician for the best answer.
    bridge45

Answer by bridge45 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Just a nod to the soy...I had problems which the Dr. said was "gas" and "acid reflux" and in the first month, we went from Similac reg to similar sensitive to similac soy to similac purple-stuff. Each one did NOT"HING to help. Then, we switched back to the regular, and he did fine. Even better, we switched to Good Start, which seems thinner or something, and he started eating, and handling it, like a pro. Go with your gut, there.
    How is she whenever you set her in the swing/bouncy seat etc?
    Until you figure it out, first figure out a way of getting more sleep. I remember when I'd hold him and rock and rock and then lay down in bed with him just continuously patting his back until I fell asleep or he was out cold. Just remember: As soon as you think you can't take it one more second, it will get worked out and something new will start! Good luck!
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 17, 2009