How can you get engaged to someone new when you are still married?

Honestly I have not followed the Jon and Kate + drama...other than the fact that they are shoved in our faces on the radio, TV and magazine covers in the grocery store.

But I do wonder... How can you promise your life to someone new when you are still married? And how can the new person accept such a proposal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I've always wondered the same thing. Lately, all the women I know are leaving their husbands of 10+ years and getting engaged to someone else, then treating their exes like crap. I can't really understand it. There has to be something there...brain damage? I dunno. Just remember that everyone has their own motivations and reasons. *shrug*
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 11:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Probably because in this case, there is not engagement. It is probably gossip and a way to further hurt the Gosselin family.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:33 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I don't follow jon and kate too much either, so i'm a little lost here...are you saying that one of them is engaged already?

but if one of them is, i would say it's a "rebound" thing. Personally, i don't feel you can commit to the next part of your life (engagement) until you have completed the part of life you are in (marriage), don't care if your separated.

how can a new person accept such a proposal? maybe they are drunk, lol.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• My husband and I were technically engaged before his first divorce was final. But, his first divorce took something like a year and a half to process because his ex kept screwing up the paperwork. She would sign without a notary, or she would sign her maiden name. One time she had her attorney dispute the date of the marriage to the courts. And every time something went wrong, they had to start over. And here in Colorado, there is a 90 day wait for filing for divorce. He had to file 4 times, then finally, she got so upset that she finally filed, and since she was paying this time around, she didn't play any games. They separated, legally, in November of 2002. They hadn't been living together since January of 02. The divorce was final in May of 04.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• But, in traditional circumstances, I don't think it is appropriate to bounce that fast. However, I am sure it is just hype or publicity considering the people involved. Their separation was so recently.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:48 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• i heard jon was dating but was not getting engaged. if he cheated then he has been doing it for sometime. she may of treated him losy but he is a moron too. she is not much different then the way most women treat their men. for him to pull this move now while stiull married tells me he never thought much about what the vows or marriage meant to him.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:48 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• The last I heard, Jon and Kate are officially divorced. I'm not sure what I think of either one of them. I think they are both to blame. They got too big for their britches. If they would have thought more of the children instead of what they could gain monetarily, they may still be together. It's a shame. The children are the one's who have lost the most. Adults can be so selfish! I'm very sad about the whole situation.
    bridge45

Answer by bridge45 at 1:37 PM on Jul. 17, 2009