Being a Mom and a Bartender?

I am a SAHM and we are tight on money.. I have been pregnant a long while..and just finally 5 weeks ago had my 3rd and final child.. I want to get a job to help benefit my family. I have been a SAHM for over 4 years.. and I also sell on ebay.. but I want a job that I can do at night and actually enjoy.. do you think its okay to be a Mom and a bartender at night a few nights a week? My husband doesn't want me to because he wants to see me friday and saturday nights, but he complains about money. I hardly buy anything and I cut back on a lot.. what are your thoughts?

MommySteph1011

Asked by MommySteph1011 at 3:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Money & Work

• I say go for it, you can always give it a try and if doesn't work out for your family you can at least say you gave it a a try. I have friends that do that because in the end it covers the bills but they don't loose that precious time with there children either.
    Rachynu

Answer by Rachynu at 5:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Well, I was a stripper and a waitress at a bar, so I did the same hours. I had to do it because I'm a single mom and for the money too. It was great money, but I was exhausted, irritable, and it kinda changes your behavior. The bartenders did make a lot of money, but they were stressed A LOT (but we had one bartender, two on the weekends and it was a packed place)It's totally your decision, but anyone who has worked in the bar atmosphere has said that they were more irritable and of course you're exhausted. You will be dealing with drunks a lot, so you'd have to have a high tolerance, but also a low tolerance for crap. (Women also have to be able to fend for themselves a.k.a. be snappy) because you will be hit on, very enthusiastically, insulted, and pretty much anything you can imagine.

The money is good though. That's the good thing.

Hope it helps!
    NomadSara

Answer by NomadSara at 3:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• If you feel you need to work and this is an option for you go for it. If your husband is against it you need to consider why. Is it because he wants you around on Fridays and Saturdays or is it because he doesn't want you working in a bar? Working in a bar is not being disrespectful of your family. Just be careful and don't fall prey to any "bar flies" interested in a young mother. Your husband may object to the possibility of that more so than you being gone on Fri and Sat. It would give him a chance to step up and really be a dad. He'd see what it's been like for you as a full time stay at home mom.
    MsTori

Answer by MsTori at 3:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I think it's always a good thing if you want to help your family! Talk to your husband about WHY he doesn't want you to work, and see if you can come up with a compromise. Good luck!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Being a work at home medical transcriptionist has been just the ticket for me. The work is fascinating, and you can pretty much choose your own hours. A lot of companies will train you and then hire you once you have enough experience (pass their entrance exam).

Let me know if you're interested, I can give you some info.
    deerhuntinmama

Answer by deerhuntinmama at 8:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I am also thinking about being a bartender. I have my license to serve alcohol and would love to use it since i did spend $60 on it. I used to baby sit for a woman who did karokee at a bar on Friday nights..they got a baby sitter and her hubby went with her.
    SO also goes to the bar I want to work at. he goes on Friday nights b/c its 25cent beer night. we will get a baby sitter and he'll go to the bar with me. if i work any other nights then my DD will go to my moms, or if he is off he'll have her.
    kelcee_eric_bry

Answer by kelcee_eric_bry at 2:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2008