is he slow?

okay well my son will be 3 aug 30th he is not talking in full sentences he knows words such as hey , bye ,mommy, daddy, papa, meme, eat ,cup, banna, phone ,sponge bob, blues clues, cat ,and so on he can work his dvd player and i was jut wondering is it bad he cant talk in full senteces? it worries me he wont count no higher than 2 and dnt know his abcs or colors i try teachn him these things and he dont care

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Wow! Id say he is!! At 2 my son counted to 50 ... and could form very elaborate sentences!! ... Id ask your dr about this!!!
    Anonymous

• some kids just don't want to talk. my oldest didn't want to, she could but wouldn't.

my almost 3 year old has just started coming out with full sentences - she's 3 in august.

she can count one two three...but I don't think she really realizes what it means, and she's not able to do the ABCs either - she can sing parts with her sisters but doesn't really understand it she thinks its just a song. as for colours....everything is either yellow or blue to her. try to correct her and she says No...BLUE.

he'll catch on. I wouldn't force him to learn anything (from experience they seem to fight back and resist if you push too hard and then its really challenging)

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:39 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• There's no way to answer this question gently, except that it's good you are asking and wanting to help.

From what you say here, he is behind developmentally. I would consult two people at least 1) a child development specialist to determine his develpment level and 2) your pediatrittion to make sure there are not medical factors contributing to this. Your pediatrion may be able to refer you to early special education, a free educational program through the school districts to work in the areas of speech & language delays and development with children before they begin school, otherwise call your school district and/or local health and human services dept.

The earlier these developmental issues are addressed, the easier it is for the child to overcome. I'm an early childhood development consultant in my city, and i've seen many, many sucess stories.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 12:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• but i also agree with hypermamaz, you can't force the issue.

There are exceptions and the possibility that he knows more than he's telling you. But from a parents point of view also, i would seek help. If he needs special services, than you'll be glad you asked.

If you do need special services, please don't feel like less of a mom (a common feeling), you're not! Your asking questions and seeking help/advice, you're doing the right thing.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 12:53 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• If he isn't talking more than that he should have been evaluated already and be getting speech therapy. At 3 they're not expected to count, recognize numbers or letters, shapes or colors. they are expected to speak clearly, and use complete simple sentences.
    Anonymous

• Don't let people get you worked up. Your son is not even 3 yet, he sounds fine. The skills your wanting your child to do, counting and ABC's, are preschool skills. Can he identify the primary colors red, yellow, blue, green? Does he seem frustrated by his communication skills, ie he wants to say something but can't so it turns into screaming or a tantrum? I think if you're concerned you can always ask to have him evaluated, but it sounds like he's a typical boy, talks when he wants to, not willing to sit still long enough to be taught things. My son is 3.5, his intelligence has been tested and is above average, yet he just started singing his ABC's completely through back in may, when he was 3.4 years old. Kids can be ahead in one area, and just typical in another, and your son sounds like he's right where he should be. Just keep learning fun, and if you're gravely concerned talk to his ped. about an evaluation. Best of Luck!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Remember that he learns all of his language skills from you. You are the speech therapist, teacher, reading specialist, etc, when your kid is so young. Talk to his doctor about it, don't get too worried about it, and just work with him at his own speed. My niece was talking in full sentences, "Daddy, look at the constellations!" at 2 and a half. At the same time, my nephew barely did until he was near pre-school age. It depends on the child. My son is already talking, at 11 months, but I have a friend whos son wasn't saying much of anything except a couple swear words until he was 18 months, when he started saying everything under the son.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 2:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• First off, breathe. YOu are not doing anything wrong. THere are many factors that can lead a child to talking more or less. By the age of 2 I was ahead of what I "should" have been, but I was an only child. My mom had the time to devote to encouraging me to talk. But as another poster put it, you do not want to force them. When my mom had my brother, he started talking earlier than I did, just because I was teaching him things to say. WHen she had my youngest brother, he was like your son, and didnt talk until he was almost 4. That was because my brother and I talked for him. IF you have older children that are around your son all the time, they may be talking for him. HIs non-verbals may be farther advanced than other children his age. You may be able to pick up on what he is trying to say with out him saying it. Just please, do not force him to try to talk more. He may get frustrated and completley stop talking.
    ratbaby_17

Answer by ratbaby_17 at 3:03 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• My son was a lot like yours until just a few weeks ago. He, out of nowhere started saying more, and started putting words together. Now we cant get him to be quiet. Isnt it funny how we work so hard to get them to walk and talk, only to tell them to sit down and be quiet???
    ratbaby_17

Answer by ratbaby_17 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• ty u ladies i jut love my son some much and want him where he i suppose too .. i want him too know things so when he starts skool he wont have such a hard time he doe put some words together like when he wants too watch a movie he will say i wanna watch that . but im still worried
    Anonymous