Do you think harry potter is evil?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes i do cause the bible warns us about this kind of stuff ... and we should not let any unclean thing into our body's.... And the bible says do not leave room for satan..

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• lol no, its fiction. Its not meant to be taken seriously, not meant to encourage us to stumble. Its just a silly story made up to entertain, that's all.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:40 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• How many times can this question be asked? I think it comes up at least 3X a week around here.

To paraphrase Sigmund Freud, "Sometimes a book is just a book." It has no more meaning than you allow it to mean, the same as any other book.

Do I think it's evil? No. I think it's a fictional story that uses the metaphor of magic to explore of the very REAL difficulties of life: racism, war, prejudice, slavery, not to mention the difficulties of puberty and growing up.

Beyond the magic (none of which is REAL - Rowling admits she MADE IT ALL UP), it's just a story about a little boy who never fit in anywhere.

And personally, it was the first series of books I could get my oldest son to sit down and read. Imagine that: a 9 year old sitting down to read a 900-page novel and FINISHING it in a week and a half!

Even the Vatican (who was against HP in the beginning too) has given their stamp of approval to the 6th movie.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:44 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• No, it's just a book.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• geminilove; Do I think it's evil? No. I think it's a fictional story that uses the metaphor of magic to explore of the very REAL difficulties of life: racism, war, prejudice, slavery, not to mention the difficulties of puberty and growing up.

You said it all right here... hit the nail right on the head. People can't seem to get past the fake spells to get to the real heart of the story.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:48 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Nope. He's purely a work of fiction. The only "evil" about it is in those people who take the story literally.
    Anonymous

• LoL!!! No way, it's just a silly fictional story. I enjoyed reading the books and I like the movies but they are harmless.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• No. It's a childrens story. Why is magic a sin outside of the bible? but in the bible people can split the ocean in 2 and walk through it. Build an arc big enough for 2 of every animal in the world and claim someones telling him to do it... That all seems crazier to me than some kiddie book
    Anonymous

• It's a freakin' story. The ladies here that think Harry Potter is evil need something better to do with their time, and stop sheltering your kids from everything. I have aunts who believe along the lines of "if it's not Christian, it's evil." Completely ludicrous, because in that line of thought... I'm evil.
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 1:07 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I gotta ask... Hinson7169, have you ever even been in the REAL world? It's not as bad as you'd think.
    If you believe in the bible THAT much... Wow. 'Cause if you look close enough at the bible, women technically aren't allowed to go to the bathroom unsupervised. The bible is just a book, NOTHING more; and it being 2000 years old, it's no longer very relevant to today's life.
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 1:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2009