Have you ever done a spell to bring harm upon someone?

This was floating through my mind recently. Everyone talks of spells that bring positive intentions with the focus of "harm none", but I often wonder if there are those out there(you may reply anon here, just be nice) who cast and never have a lick of bad luck thrust upon them. I have always chosen to live by the law harm none do as ye will.

If you do spellwork and have had the 3 fold law come back to you, what happened?

I hear of people doing "dark" spellwork and often wonder if they have lives that are constantly happy or dark and dreary. It seems like those of us that work positive spells seem to have more incidences of bad things happening, jsut from random observations of friends recently. I guess a follow up question here is:
Do you think a witch needs to do dark/light magic for balance in their life??

And non pagan moms, please refrain from bashing or joining in if you do not have any answers to this question.

CinderAmethyst

Asked by CinderAmethyst at 12:38 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well I guess my opinion is this, I believe that we must understand and be educated in all forms of magick to be balanced. Dark and light. I also believe that Harm none is a term that you really have to think about. If by doing nothing someone harms themself then I personally think that breaks our oath. If by bindings someone we prevent their harm (which is manipulative magick) then I think its our duty to carefully consider that this might be the best choice. I have never had protective magick backfire on me but I tend to overthink every situation and therefore usually make a fairly wise decision. (I said USUALLY!) I have done at least two bindings on people, both worked. I have done mulitiple defensive magicks and about the closest thing to a "baad spell" I have done was done admitedly in anger. Someone had seriously endangered my family in a malicious way and I placed a geas on them.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 5:20 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Oh, one more thing i remember.....I remember reading somewhere, that if you use magic in self-defense then that is acceptable. Is this true?(ie ward off a stalker, abusive husband, protect a child...etc)
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:42 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• i gues being a chirstian to me I dont believe in magic. And as long as I am doing the right thing is what matters. Yes in life whether magic involved or not those who do wrong seem to always have the good luck and everything, and those who do good seem to have worse luck. To me thats because God will never give you more then you can handle. I am not to worried about who has what or what kind of luck here on earth because all of this means nothing in comparison to after we die. I would never wish harm on another person, obviously I would protect my kids if a burgaler broke in ect something like that. But no I would not go out of my way and purposely harm some one.. or even "put a spell on someone" because I thought they deserved it, we are not to judge what another does or doesnt deserve
    Jessy103

Answer by Jessy103 at 12:50 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I cast a bind on my exhusband once. He was suicidal (had attempted it already 3x and been hospitalized twice). I was afraid what effect his death would have on our children, so I bound his will to keep him from harming himself. The particular spell I used could be considered dark since I overrode his own own will, but at the time I felt it was necessary and I was willing to accept the consequences.

The backlash was that it took an additional 4 years and 4 days to process our divorce. (I bound him for one year and one day...) talk about THREEFOLD EFFECT!

As far as defensive spells, I have done things to repel people or encourage them away, but not to inflict direct harm. I think there is a vast difference between defending myself (animals often use scare tactics to fend off something else) and outright assaulting them.
    Anonymous

• That's a good answer. Thank you for your insight.

I just wondered why it is that some people seem to get away with so many things while others who adhere to basic laws of man and of their own spiritual path seem to get the most pain and suffering.

Thank you again for your response.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I am a Christian and don't believe in that
    rose549

Answer by rose549 at 12:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I have only cast a few spells and not one since I was a teenager. I cast one on a frenemy. It was a revealing spell. It was supposed to show who her true nature (which in her case, was rotten) to everyone. I think it worked. Her friends and family turned their back on her for a few years and she got a real reality check. I do recall thinking that I paid the price for it too, but it was so long ago, I couldn't tell you exactly why anymore.

I also cast a mild love spell on my son's father. Bad, bad, bad idea. He was not the one for me, and all we ever did is fight and argue.

Anonymous

• Anon....I did a love spell once when I first began studying the craft. I have to say it ruined a really good friendship with a guy who was a great friend to me. lesson learned....be careful of your intent and know what it is you NEED not want.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:59 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• The Law of Harm None does not apply when it comes to self defense. If you feel that it is necessary to do something that will bring bad things back, be prepared for the results. It will come back on you, and you have to be prepared for whatever consequences there may be. Also, be careful when doing spells that are not very specific. I did one one time for a friend to give her more confidence when going in for an interview for a new job she wanted. I got lazy and simply worded it as "finding a new job" instead of being specific, and she ended up losing her job that day, and having to work as a waitress for while. It was a new job, just not the one she wanted! Also, under protest I did a spell for a girl once that made her more open to her soul mate. Instead the spell ended up attracting just about every eligible guy in the state. It got hilarious results, with her being hit on just about constantly until I removed the effect.
    Anonymous

• "Do you think a witch needs to do dark/light magic for balance in their life?? "

This is a very good question, and I honestly think that there needs to be some balance in this respect. However, finding that balance can be difficult I think. I don't think someone should go around casting dark spells just to try to gain balance. I do think that there are times when certain spell that could be considered dark can be used and it is during those times that we reach a certain balance. But it's not like I think we should cast one 'dark' spell for every 'light' one we cast. As far as using spells for defense, I agree with anon :50 on that one. I should be able to defend my self any way I see fit, including using magic. But I would never use it to assault or attack someone, but to only prevent them from harming me.

And why on earth does this discussion remind me of Richard Rahl from the Sword of Truth books? LoL!

Anonymous