I am still breastfeeding my 20 mth baby ..she gets up at the middle of the night and asks for milk I am tired of this..i wanna stop her feeding at night .I have told her u can have milk at night but she does`nt seem 2 understand.what do I do?.

plz help me how do I stop her brestfeeding should I wait until 2 when she will be talking and will be able 2 understand me more.tell me by your experience.

asatyal

Asked by asatyal at 12:50 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just because they tuirn 2 doesnt mean they talk more or understand more, personally (not bashing) I think 20 months is a little old to be breastfeeding. I would wean her now instead of later. Just because they are older doesnt mean its easier. My son had his paci taken away at 18 months and it was easier then when he realized his baby sister had pacis and wanted them when he was 2 1/2, he was soo much more upset at 2 1/2 knowing he couldnt have them then at 18 months.
    Jessy103

Answer by Jessy103 at 12:53 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• If you stop letting her do it at night she will stop. When she askes for it at night comfort her, but dont give it to her. It will take some time but eventually she will stop. You dont need to wean her right now!! If this is what you both still want, then it is what you should do!!
    Anonymous

• WHen a baby is old enough to eat table foods... which 20 months is... They shouldnt be getting milk at night. it will ruin their teeth among other things. I agree with PP 20 mo is a little old to be breast feeding still
    Anonymous

• If she isn't talking yet, you should have her evaluated for possibly needing speech therapy. There is nothing about 2 that makes them magically start talking.

At her age, she definitely shouldn't need anything at night. Stop giving her anything. It's going to be tougher the older she gets and is going to make potty training that much harder.
    Anonymous

• Please ignore the previous posters. Breastfeeding should continue to age 2 and beyond, as long as it is mutually desirable between mom and baby. We put an end to night nursing at around 18 months. My daughter was waking up 7 times in 6 hours to nurse and I couldn't handle it. What we did was put her crib mattress on the floor by our bed, and have Daddy handle getting her to sleep. She wasn't left to cry, if she got upset, Daddy was there to comfort her. Within a week I was able to put her to bed without nursing.

To the PP - breastfeeding at night does not ruin the teeth. Bottles continually drip with pressure on the nipple. The breast requires active movement of the mouth to release milk. The nipple goes far back to the soft palate, so no milk is left pooling around the teeth.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 1:08 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• BM does not ruiin teeth. It is the same as water.

We stopped night nursing at 18 months as well. I just told her no and held her why she cried. It lasted about a month but was totally worth it.
    Anonymous

• To the original poster and asaffell, I wonder what it is about that 18-20 month age? Asta is just over 18 months, and night nursing has been driving me to tears lately! I can't handle it! It could be because my milk supply has decreased a little, but it's painful and ANNOYING! Also, she nursed to sleep for awhile, and now that there is little milk--it's like she's waiting for the letdown that just doesn't come strongly anymore! Anyways, I realized last night that the pain and no milk issue was coming from the side lying position (and pregnancy of course)-I sat up in bed with her holding her in a Boppy pillow and problem was solved....kinda. But I don't want to deal with having to set up two pillows behind my back and the Boppy in front just to put her down. I guess it's not TOO bad, because she only wakes up 1-3 times to go potty and that's when she nurses down, but my belly is getting in the way of her lying on top of me!
    Nodak_Norsk

Answer by Nodak_Norsk at 2:01 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I am one of the moms that didn't breast feed long...my longest was 6 or 7 months. I'm not saying that I was right for stopping, but the docs say that kids shouldn't go to bed with bottles, sippy cups (even if there is just water in them)...and other things. So I would guess to completely stop giving her milk at night. Sounds like she is just waking up because she knows that you will give her some. Personally I have felt that when the baby is old enough to walk, they are old enough to stop drinking from the breast...other mothers idsagree I know, but to each his own right? What ever works for you as long as you are comfortable with it.
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 3:40 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• There's nothing wrong with night nursing unless you don't want to be doing it. Can Dad take over the night wakings? Keeping in mind that night weaning doesn't mean sleeping.

Info on drjaygordon.com and kellymom.com on how to night wean.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:56 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I nursed my son for longer than I had planned and the day after he turned two, I just cut him off. There was "no more". He cried and was not happy about it for about a week and got over it. He has slept through the night since, 12 hrs a night, and is a much happier boy during the day! It is not easy to wean at this age but if you've had enough, end it! Be prepared to lay with her and comfort her during the time she would expect to nurse, but don't give in. You will both get through it just fine! Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 5:20 PM on Jul. 17, 2009