is it really better?

Is it true it's better to breast feed for a short amount of time than not at all? I would love to breast feed but I don't have the schedule or time for it...I will be working and going to school and I just won't be able to keep it going. However I was thinking I may do it for a short amount of time while I'm home. Is it really helpful to the baby to breast feed at least a little? I'm also concerned that if I do breast feed for a few weeks she will not take a bottle when I cannot do it anymore. What do you think?

javila

Asked by javila at 12:51 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes, it is true. Even if its for a few weeks, your baby will still benefit from it.

abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 12:53 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Any amount of breast milk is best! The colostrum, which they get before actual breastmilk, is the thing they REALLY need. Breastfeed as long as you can, it is such a great bond and it really is much better for your baby
    Anonymous

• its more likely if the baby has had a bottle that he or she wont take the breast. There is less work to suck from a bottle than a breast. And yes its true that its good for the baby even if its just a little
    Anonymous

• DO whats best for your baby and you my son was 100% formula fed and I pumped with my daughter for 7 weeks. Its not just about whats healthier that way .. if you are stressed or not into it .. its not going to help anything and will be stressful on the baby! and dont let anyone on here pressure you into doing what you want. Personally bottle feeding is not time consuming or a lot of work or hassle for me like a lot of moms claim it is. Pumping was a pain in the butt though!! nt sure about BF cuz my daughter wouldnt latch! I personally think formula or BM is fine. Both my kids are never sick. so I think whether you BF or FF you kid will be who they are sick or not sick, healthy or not healthy.
    Jessy103

Answer by Jessy103 at 12:56 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• breastfeeding is really good for the baby!
    Anonymous

• yes.
    my son is 11mo and we are still nursing. i was in school and now i'm working. i pump once a day (i usually on work 5 hours in a day) and nurse when i'm at home. he's never had formula. it's very doable. when i was in school, i was in clinicals after i had him. i was gone for 10 hours out of the day, and usually pumped twice (that's all the time i had for it). but, we made it work
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 1:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• mommytobobby, that may have worked for you but i am in school and working full time. i don't work just 5 hours a day.
    Anonymous

• lol i don't know why i hit the anon. button. sorry! lol
    javila

Answer by javila at 1:20 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Could you maybe try doing a half milk- half formula routine maybe? Any breast milk is good, even if its only for a month. You can try pumping as well for when you are gone? Don't beat yourself up if you can't; my best friend could only breast feed for a short time and her little girl is just fine. Just give it your best shot and see what works best for your family!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 1:40 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• yes, the first two week sare most important- now with my new baby (not two weeks yet) I will be able to breast feed for longer but with my middle child (now almost 5) I went back to work and was not able to continue full time breast feeding- I found that if she got formula during the day at daycare and I fed her breast milk at night we had some great bonding time-
    also- it is a lazy way to do it, lol- let me explain---
    which is easier: baby cries, you get up, get the bottle, fix the water temperature, get the formula, mix in the formula, feed the baby, work forever to burp the baby, clean baby up when he/she spits up all over- then go back to bed-

or ... roll over, get baby out of crib, attach to breast, breast feeding lets less air in so burping is not as big of a deal, baby is asleep, put back in crib, go back to sleep...
    I am lazy, that is the second biggest reason I breastfeed... hehe
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 1:53 PM on Jul. 17, 2009