how long should you breastfeed for?and does it hurt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you SHOULD breastfeed as long as you and your baby want. You dont have to breastfeed if you dont want to, but if you do there is no set time as to when you should stop!
    Anonymous

• for as long as you are comfortable doing it and/or your baby wants to.
    And yes, there are times it will hurt, but once you get used to things it stops.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 1:00 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Buy lots of Lanolin, that stuff made it almost bearable to nurse for the first couple weeks, but then you get used to it and you hardly feel it.
    Anonymous

• whats lanolin????
    Anonymous

• to me, i think every mother should bf for AT LEAST a year. but, if you want longer, that's awesome!!! do it for however long you and the baby want to and are comfortable. i'm all about child lead weaning. so, whenever my son is ready to stop, that's fine w/ me.
    i also wanted to add that the WHO recommends that babies be exclusively bf for six months (no solids or formula) and should breastfeed for a minimum of 2 years.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 1:06 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• when I was in hospital, was asked if I was going to breast feed and how long did I plan to
    I said
    I was going to try it
    nurses thought this was an odd answer
    I never had before and of course there is nothing to compare it to
    so you do not know until you try it
    my girlfriend hated it, but did it for a while anyway
    It was wonderful for baby and me
    we did for 7 months with more pumping at the end
    but whatever works for you and your baby
    do not let anyone tell you what you MUST do

and no, it did not hurt
    and in the middle of the night, it is so easy
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 1:19 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Lanolin is a moisturizer, essentially...it's extracted from wool and purified.

You should nurse AS LONG AS YOU WANT.

Yes, it will hurt in the beginning. Childbirth hurts more, and the REAL pain starts when they go to school. (I'll take my nipple bitten off over arguing over homework. Really.)

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms groups for all kinds of support and advice.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:54 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• It can hurt a bit in the very beginning, but there are things that help that. ( http://custommademilk.wordpress.com/2008/12/10/the-causes-of-nipplebreast-pain-while-nursing-and-how-to-make-it-better/ ) many women never experience any pain while breastfeeding, though. Honestly, engorgement hurts MUCH worse, and if you don't breastfeed you will probably end up engorged. Engorgement is hell. There's a reason why cow's line up to be milked every day at dairy farms. Not getting the milk out is painful.

As for "how long".. Depends on what you feel comfortable with. The American Association of Pediatricians recommends a minimum of one year. The World Health Organization recommends a minimum of two years. Some women only breastfeed 3 weeks, 3 months, 6 months.. Others practice child led weaning and breastfeed multiple years.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 4:11 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• The AAP recommends 2 years now. Most pediatricians agree that one year is great. I try and shoot for two years, but end up pregnant before that second year is up. I BF my first until she was 18 months and it was just a month and a half before I delivered my second. With my second, we got a terrible case of thrush that took forever to clear up. He self weaned at 10.5 months old despite me doing every my doctor recommended.

If does usually hurt for the first 2-4 weeks. After that it is completely comfortable, you just have to push through that first month. You can take Tylenol to help with the discomfort.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:39 PM on Jul. 17, 2009