When should i turn the carseat around from rear facing??

My daughter is 10 months..she weighs 28 lbs.. & is 3 ft. tall... im scared to turn her around.. but at the same time it would be easier.. but my babys safety comes first!! What to do!!!!

LiLMama923

Asked by LiLMama923 at 1:07 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Travel

• Most laws state one year old AND 20lbs, so in your case you still need to wait 2 more months.

However, you say your babies safety comes first, so you might want to check out extended rear facing. I am keeping my daughter facing backwards until she is at least 18 months old (my car seat goes up to 35lbs facing backwards)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:18 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• If you would like you may go to youtube and type in "rear facing car seat." They have lots of good videos of them actually crash testing the car seats and it is easy to see why it can be up to 75% safer.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 1:43 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• As long as she isn't too big for the car seat (check your owners manual) she should stay rear facing as long as possible. It has to do with the potential for injury in a car accident. The childrens neck and spines are more protected when they are rear facing in certain types of accidents. I kept my kids rear facing until they outgrew their seats. It was more difficult to get them in and out and keep them entertained but their safety was worth it!
    momofthreekjs

Answer by momofthreekjs at 1:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• A child should atleast be rear facing until 1 year old AND 20lbs (by law..) I turned my son 2 weeks before his 1st birthday and he was 20lbs... (yea, yea bash away.. I did what I feel was best for me and my son)
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 3:29 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• They are now recommending (though it isn't required) for them to be 2 years old. And some studies say even 4 years old. I'm personally going to go with 2 years old.

Here is a link from the American Academy of Pediatrics - sorry I don't know how to make it clickable.
    http://www.aap.org/family/Carseatguide.htm

Here is a link that talks about going past 1 year
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9916868
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:18 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Your suppost to wait until there at least 1 year and 20 pounds. I turned my daughter around when she was 11 months old, and 20 pounds. Some people on here think to turn there kid around when there 2 years old..They do whats best in there eyes, and I do whats best in mine, So you should do what you feel is right for you!.
    Anonymous

• so 20 lbs.. or a year.. shes 28lbs.. but i think i will just wait the 2 more months!
    LiLMama923

Answer by LiLMama923 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2009