How do you know if you almost 2 yr old is depressed?

I have a brother who has a daughter. We think that she is depressed because her parents are at work all day long..then want to leave her with gparents so they can go have fun. It's so frustrating and it's very sad to see the little girl walk around very quietly and then burst into tears out of no where. When her parents are around...she CRAVES attention in the worst ways. She pulls hair, she hits, she screams and kicks until she gets her way and she throws tantrums for no reason. When she is with us, she's a completely different kid. She behaves very well except for the sadness. She hardly ever laughs or smiles when she's here. I feel so bad for her. If it was anyone else I wouldnt step in. But this is my brother's child. What do I do? Can children this young be depressed? I forgot to mention....she actually pulls her hair out when she is stressed or when her parents leave her. It's become a problem.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like a typical 2 year old to me. Besides her being sad that mom and dad arent around, the tantrums are normal for a 2 year old. Its called the dreaded terrible 2's. As long as she has you and the grandparents and any other family members to love her and show her attention, then no I dont think thats her problem. Shes a typical 2 year old. Depression isnt out of the question totally, but if you are really worried I would get the parents permission to take her to see a dr because only they can rule out depression and make you feel better about wondering weather or not it is. But in my own opinion I belive its just her being a typical 2 year old. Its sad, very sad that the parents dont spend more time with her but like I said, as long as she has you and the grandparents, she will be ok.
    Anonymous

• Oh that just breaks my heart. Why do some people have kids??WAHH!! I am sure she wants her parents love and attention and it probably hurts her feelings that they don't want to seem to be around her. Of course she'll act out - sounds more than just a typical 2 year old to me!!!!! I know my son loves to be with his grandma cause she watches him part time while I am wokring but he LOVES mommy and daddy so much and we play with him SO much and I couldn't imagine a child not having that connection with thier parents. Can you talk to your brother?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2009