what does it mean when u have diabetes while pregnant?

has any one here had diabetes while pregnant? If so what did u have to do?

rissa1789

Asked by rissa1789 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had it through 2 pregnancies. I could regulate my sugar intake with diet, I didn't have to go on insulin. It just means that you have to watch how much sugar you eat (for me it was really tough because I'm a vegetarian and there's not much food that doesn't have sugar in it. lol. ) There are some groups on here for gestational diabetes that helped. If you have any questions you can pm me.
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 1:33 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Oh I forgot to say I had to check my sugar 4 times a day and make sure it was within the limits it should be. If not you'll have to go on Insulin. (I felt like I was starving and I didn't gain much weight). With my son I gained 25 lbs, but they didn't diagnose me with it till I was about 30 weeks. WIth my daughter they tested me early since I had it before and it was at 16 weeks so I only gained 5 lbs that pregnancy.
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I had gestational diabetes as well. I was able to regulate it through diet. I also had to test my blood sugar 4x a day. It is a bit of a pain to maintain the diabetic diet, but well worth the effort if you don't have to go on insulin. I also probably gained less weight than I would have, as I am sure I ate far healthier than I would have if I didn't have it. The worst time for me was the morning as you really have to limit your sugars at that time, and I was STARVING! lol.
    Anonymous

• I've had it twice..
    Watch your carbs, and sugars. Carbs are a necessary evil, but you have to be careful since they break down into sugar.
    My first pregnancy I was diet controlled and I should have been on insulin. Our dd was stillborn at 36 weeks to my GD being mismanaged by the HROB.
    My second pregnancy, I was on insulin and monitored by a team of HROB's and my regular OB's. I had weekly u/s and NST's. They tested me at 8 wks ( 1 hr and 3 hr) and again at 24 wks. I was on complete bed rest due to GD and hypertension, so I tested my glucose 4x a day and had insulin shots 2x daily.
    Our dd was 6 wks early due to GD, hypertension and Pre-E at the end. She spent 3 wks in NICU and will be 1 in 2 weeks.
    Risks- infants can run large or small, baby is at risk for juvenile diabetes, jaundice, delivery problems including broken bones, stillbirth
    Mom- at risk for Type 2 within 10 yrs of first diagnosis.
    Pm if you have questions.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 2:55 PM on Jul. 17, 2009