Why shouldn't health care be free?

I am woefully ignorant about this entire situation, I will be the first to admit that...

But can anyone give me a few good reasons as to why it shouldn't be free?

Yoshi_Yoshi

Asked by Yoshi_Yoshi at 1:29 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Nothing in life is ever free. Taxes would go up to cover the cost of this so called "free" health care. If you have to wait in line at the ER for 3-4 hours now, imagine if everyone had "free" health care. They would be going to the doctor and/or ER for every little thing. Those wait times would go up to about 10+ hours. Also, there are not enough doctors to meet this demand. People who need surgery would have to wait an extensive amount of time, sometimes by the time they do get surgery it would be too late. I do agree that our health care system does not an overhaul but "free" health care is not the way to do it.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:34 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Well, it wont be free but, i do support Universal Health Care. There are too many people who make a decent income but cant afford health care for their family. I think everyone should be taxed according to their income and pass this thing. We need it.
    Anonymous

• Because it's not REALLY free!!! Taxes will be raised SIGNIFICANTLY while budgets and proposed spending for social programs will be cut SIGNIFICANTLY!!!

If you want what they have in Canada, be prepared to pay a flat tax on EVERYTHING plus a VAT (Value Added Tax) on EVERYTHING!!!! Canada's combined tax plus VAT was around 15% (I'm guessing it's higher now), and that VAT tax is used to subsidize their national health care plan.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:36 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Sounds good to me!

It's a very complicated issue. If health care were free taxes would have to increase. People don't like tax increases. People see it as a form of socialism.

Doctors, nurses, physician assistants and other health care professionals want to make a lot of money. They have gone to college and have loans to pay off. Their jobs are difficult and stressful.

Medicaid is an example of free health care for people who are disabled or poor. My son is a RN and he was telling me that in some hospitals Medicaid is only paying 22 cents on the dollar. Because of that if hospitals want to stay open they have to charge more for other patients.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:38 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• How significantly are we talking, Lori?

I don't think it should be FREE...but I don't think it should be so expensive, either...
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 1:38 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Nothing is ever free. The doctors are not going to do it for free, nor the hospitals, nurses, janitors, cooks, etc that work in a hospital/dr's office. Someone has to pay for it and it will be us thru our paychecks. I'm sorry but I am tired of working 40+ hours per week and seeing a good chunk taken out of my paycheck to pay for someone elses food stamps, medical needs, electric, home, etc because they choose not to work. I do understand that some need it but it should be a bridge to get you over the hard times and not a permenant solution.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:38 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• So , Jeremysmom are you saying that if health care was free that certain people would clog up the system? That not all people deserve to be taken care of when sick or injured? Why dont people want healthcare for all? So what if magically everyone was able to afford healthcare, EVERY person in this country, than it would force for us to have more doctors, nurses and hospitals right? That is why there is a problem in this country when it comes to health care.
    Anonymous

• It should be free. Everyone should be entitled to healthcare. You should not have to pay to stay healthy.

Unfortunately, nothing in life is free, and people are too damn greedy for their own good.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:40 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Mostly because it is hugely EXPENSIVE and who is going to pay for it? It's that simple. Our government is not capable of sticking to a budget, most likely never will so it will never be possible.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:44 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• So far Steph's answer is the best...this country isn't the best money manager!

But if I have to pay a little more in taxes so everyone is healthy...hell yes I'm all for that.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 1:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2009