do you salute the flag?

I'm curious to how many people place their hand over their heart or salute the flag when it goes by in a parade or even when the anthem is being played or sang? how many actually know the words to our anthem? And how many sing along or hum along? just wondering because it seems whenever I go to games or anything that less and less people are doing it. i'm proud to be an american and i will always salute our flag. It stand for our freedom and MANY men and women have given their lives so that I CAN salute the flag and stand there and sing our anthem

Zacherysmommy08

Asked by Zacherysmommy08 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Only 2 people have ever died for you..Jesus for your soul and a soldier for your freedom...May we all remember this next time we see a flag or hear the star spangled banner!
    MissyT1980

Answer by MissyT1980 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• No.
    Anonymous

• It was mandatory for me to salute the flag in NJROTC, either by saluting properly when in uniform or putting my hand over my heart when not in uniform.

Now if it's a formal setting I salute during the pledge or the national anthem. Yes, of course I know the words to it. My fiance doesn't know all of the words, but he's not from this country and has been here less than 10 years. For the record, he doesn't even know the words to HIS country's national anthem, lmao.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:37 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Absolutely not.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 1:38 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• As a veteran, I switch between saluting an having my hand over my heart. If I'm holding the little one, I have my hand over my heart. And I still have to go to base much of the time, and sometimes I'm there for colors, and usually with the little one so hand over the heart. And I do know the words, but I usually don't hum or sing along because it's usually someone else singing and I find it rude.
    Anonymous

• I know the words, I put my hand over my heart and hum along. We live on an Army post so whenever we go to the movie theater they play the national anthem and we all stand up and salute.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:57 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• My Hubby is retired military and I am prior military being as such we salute our country's colors. Our Children put their right hand over their hearts, although our daughter would salute when she was in JROTC. As for knowing the words to the national anthem yes we do, and still to this day and until the day I die when the colors pass or the national anthem is sung I get goose bumps.
    decafsis

Answer by decafsis at 2:00 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Of course I do, I am proud to be an American and will ALWAYS, always remember what our soldiers have fought and died for and I will teach my daughter the same thing
    lovemybabygirl7

Answer by lovemybabygirl7 at 5:33 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• yes i do
    ms_mommy_sue

Answer by ms_mommy_sue at 6:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I put my hand over my heart when the anthem is being sung at an event. I respect those who take of their hats and place their hand on their heart when the anthem is being sung/played. It shows respect for their country, their freedom, and their lives. I think it's the same as doing the cross across your body before you enter a pew at Church. It shows your respect, your faith, and your honor to what you believe.

It is up the the individual how they respond to it, but I think at the very least all should remove their caps.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2009