• In the Spotlight:

Is it normal for a child with juvenile diabetes to lose weight a few months after diagnosis?

My cousin was diagnosed with JD at age 4. She's now 5. My grandma is worried absolutely sick that she's malnourished because she's lost 10 pounds since starting on the JD diet.

Is there any way I can make my grandma feel better about it? She thinks her parents aren't feeding her right or something. She dropped from about 56 pounds down to 48 pounds in a period of about 8 or 9 months.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 1:43 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• My neice and I both have diabetes she is 7 and I am 35 and I did due to the fact it took me a while to get under control and I would have lots of highs and lows, now my niece did not but times have changed sooo much i would check with your doctor, but unless your kiddo is showing signs of highs and lows it should not be something to worry about but diabetes is such a fragile illness you can never be too careful...My mother in law has type 2 and she is convinced we have no clue what we are doing as well. She don't understand how we can eat what we eat and adjust our sliding scale , so I am sure she is convinced we are idiots...Take care and try and tell her to back off in a nice way I keep having to do it!!!!
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2009