What would be or how would you go about teaching (6&8yrs.old) multiplication?

I mean starting from scratch I know my 6 yr. old is still to young but is curious when I am working with my 8 yr. old.

I am tired of my son getting frustrated with me and me with him. How can we do this without him feeling overwhelmed even if it has only been two problems :(

Any suggestions??? Thanks Ladies...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If he know the process (how to multiply) then its just a matter of memorizing. With my son we play a game with flash cards (easy to find for a dollar or so at Target-w/fun pics on them) I have my son choose how he wants to play. He can quiz me if he so chooses. I sometimes will pretend to think really hard about an answer (giving him time to absorb what he is looking at - the answer!) Therefore, he is studying without even knowing it. At other times he will lay the flashcards on the table and I will give him an answer and he has to tell me where the problem is that matches that answer. Also, there is a website www.DadsWorksheets.com. It has timed tests that you can print that will focus on just a few different problems at a time. My boys just turned 9&7 so they are not on the same level either. I print out their respective levels and they race against the clock to see how many problems they can do in a minute or two.Good Luck!
    momofthreekjs

Answer by momofthreekjs at 2:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• If your son doesn't yet understand the process (how to multipy), I would get some manipulatives (small cubes/blocks, etc.) that he can use to "see" the process. Have him physically make two rows of three 2x3, four rows of five 4x5, etc. It is important for the child to "see" what you are trying to explain to him. The abstract is very hard for some youngsters to wrap their heads around at that age. Start small to give him a sense of accomplishment. If you both end up frustrated then there isn't going to be any meaningful learning going on. I hope all of my babbling helps! Good luck!
    momofthreekjs

Answer by momofthreekjs at 2:29 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• www.rocknlearn.com has some really cute videos that are fun for kids to watch. It puts them to music with and makes it a little easier to learn. We got the multiplication rap one but I wouldnt suggest it since it goes a little too fast. I would go with the multiplication rock, it goes slower and easier to understand.

Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 3:25 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• what melindakc said. or you could go old school and do School House Rock! ...3 is a magic number, yes it is...haha
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 4:03 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• tell him that "times" or "multiplied by" means "groups of".

I use the example of plates with cookies on them. three plates with two cookies on each makes six cookies altogether.

rote memorization of facts is fine, but IMO it's much more important that they understand the concept.

oh, and here is an inexpensive and fun toy to help them memorize their multiplication facts.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:17 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• oh, and here's a free online video game to drill them on multiplication facts

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:33 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• We're starting homeschool this year for first grade. One of the books I read said a lady used dinosaurs that had "nests" next to them with eggs in them. "If you have two nests and each has 3 eggs, that's 6 eggs. 2 x 3 = 6." I plan to use this when I teach my son multiplication. It's worth a shot for him to see it visually, use it for something that may interest him, and get him to fully understand the concept. I will probably also uses snacks and/or money to illustrate it as well.
    Anonymous

• When I was that young I found it easiest to learn multiplication through song. As silly as it sounds, it was actually easier for me to learn a lot that way. I memorized lyrics like I took each breath, it was natural for me. Therefore, when it came to a teacher introducing lyrical multiplication I was taking it in like a sponge. I suggest that for your children. Most children like music and they may find it more entertaining. You could also try introducing it into crafts. Like magnets on the fridge, a dry erase board, or even using their toys to help work out the multiplication problem. Each children absorbs multiplication differently and once you find their method it is smooth sailing from then on.

I'm sure there are websites that can teach you songs that you can teach to your children. If you feel that method would work for your children.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:06 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• The websight Multiplication.com has many fun computer games that teach the multiplication tables. They can learn as they play and it is more fun !
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 8:48 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• my parents did this with me and i do it with my students. candy. candy is the cure-all.

but the quick way to do it is to chant and print off math worksheets for each group. start with 0. easy as pie. chant with him "one times zero is zero...two times zero is zero" when you get to ten you can do the chant as fast as you can then give him the worksheet. ask him to fill out the answers as FAST as he can. time him. (they all will be 0 so, he will breeze right through it) then do ones. then do twos but since 2s are harder i would ask him if he wants to chant some more before we do the test and time him. do 2s and up test a good few times. write the time it took him to take each test on the top of the paper and put them up somewhere. show him how he is improving! (also, as a parent you can see what numbers he needs work with and can talk to his teachers) always review! good luck!
    spazlilsister

Answer by spazlilsister at 11:59 AM on Jul. 18, 2009