Can those of you without TV's please offer some wisdom?

I admire TV free families very, very much. I just don't know how we'd cope without Noggin and Sesame street. How would I shower, pay bills, etc.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 2:07 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• I often wonder how much enjoyable life would be without the TV & those things that connect to it (XBOX!!) .. I will often tell DH "lets do something" and he will be playing xbox & his reply is always "there is nothing to do".. Im sure if his brain wasnt filled with xbox crap he could think of a few things.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:03 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Children are distractible by toys when you need to do do something. Have someone else entertain them for a few minutes if needed. Normally mine distract each other. We own a tv, but it is rarely if ever on.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• We have a TV but no cable (movies only). There are tons of other ways to keep kids busy other than the boob tube.
    Showering? I wait till DH is home and he watches them or I shower after the kids are in bed for the night.
    Bills? Naptime! Even when my 2yr old doesnt nap he still has to do 2 hours of quiet time in his room.
    Cooking, cleaning, etc... toys, coloring, and encouraging the kids to help. I've found that my 2 year old LOVES to do laundry. I measure the detergent and he puts everything in. When it's all done he likes to help sort it too. When I cook he gets to mix and pour. He likes to vacuum too so I let him. It's a small 8lbs vacuum. He doesnt do a very good job but it keeps him busy while I accomplish other tasks.
    For the baby (6mos) I wear her in a wrap or she plays with toys nearby.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 2:32 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I grew up with no cable, and with the T.V. turned off most of the time except for when it was 'movie time'. And you know what? I LOVED it. It may not seem like it now, but there is a whole world of activities to do without vegging in front of the set. It would be really helpful to know the ages, because with every different age is a different set of activities.
    You can try to get most things done during nap time (bill paying, etc.) and shower in the evenings. However if your child has out grown naptime, or something needs to be done immediately, you can set them a task. 'Mommy wants you to draw a picture for Grandma' 'Can you sweep the floor while Mommy showers'
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:58 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• We also have a tv set but with no "tv". We have an enormous collection of DVDs. Our son loves getting to chose what movie he wants to watch and I love that none of us are tempted to buy things that we see on tv because there are no commercials. My son also has maditory quite time every day in his room (usually 2 hours). He also loves to play with his duplos and other toys.
    MommyTails

Answer by MommyTails at 3:12 PM on Jul. 17, 2009