Should we take her to the Dentist?

My daughter is 4 and is "losing" her first tooth, a bottom one. Well, there is one behind it that is not waiting and it coming through and is almost fully there! lol...
The lose one is lose, but not really lose...she won't let me pull it and I'm afraid to anyway. Should we take her to the dentist so they can take it out or let it fall out on its own?

babycakes254

Asked by babycakes254 at 2:13 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I would.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:13 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Let it fall out on its own! My older son lost his first loose tooth when he was brushing his teeth! Encourage her to brush more often, it'll probably fall out then! Remember baby teeth don't have roots--the permanent tooth coming in will push it out naturally.

However, you SHOULD have started taking her to the dentist by the age of 3--for regular 6 month check ups! If you haven't done so already, you really should find a pediatric dentist and make that first appointment.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:18 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Are you rich? Let it fall ou ton it's own. Of course you should take your child to the dentist by age 2 for the first time so if you have the money and feel the need take her for a check up anyway. 4 is pretty young to be losing and getting teeth.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:19 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• The tooth will fall out on its own and the permanent tooth will get in it's proper place. If you offer money or something great she may let you yank it out.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I think the quickest and cheapest and safest option is call the front desk of the office and ask them their thoughts.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:23 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Yes, she has been to the dentist before for a checkup and cleaning! She will probably go to the dentist anyway as we are behind on her checkup for this yr anyway. Its been lose a while...
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 2:27 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• My son had to get his first 2 teeth pulled because the adult ones were coming in and the the baby ones weren't loose. (it looked like he had shark teeth) the dentist said if we waited he could have problems with the permanat teeth not coming in right.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 6:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• How long is it until her next 6 month checkup?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:37 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Let it fall out on it's own. The dentist won't do anything about it anyway. The teeth will come out when they are ready.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Wow ladies. Not all dentists see kids as young as 2 and 3. We wanted to take our son to one because he wasn't getting teeth when he should have, but there aren't any dentists around us who will see a child under the age of 4 unless they have problems. Late teething isn't a problem though so it made sense to us.

OP- I'd give it a few more days/week and then take her to the dentist. It may need a little help coming out. I had teeth like that but had to have them pulled.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 3:05 AM on Jul. 19, 2009