The writings of Paul . . .

I've been reading through the New Testament again, and I have finally realized why I had a hard time getting through most of it. Paul. Is it me, or does he seem to write 'round and 'round in circles? I was dizzy after my reading in Romans today, and it was only one chapter . . . Has anyone else noticed this?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 2:17 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am reading Romans right now. I actually love it. This week I am studying repentance and how we are completely justified in Christ and there is no condemnation, but we need to repent.

What chapter did you read?
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:30 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I'm on chapter 9 - I've just had to re-read everything, LOL! Maybe it's just me . . . ?
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I had to memorize most of the writings of Paul for school. I agree with you, he has a destinct personality and will re-touch on points he's passionate about. I kinda like it because I do the same things when I write lol.

What translation are you reading?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:03 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I'm reading my faithful NIV, LOL.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Yes, Paul does that. It helps me to outline on paper as I go. I also use a couple of versions when I study at home. KJV, NIV and one of the newer versions for comparison.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I am thinking I should break out my concordance, LOL.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I do what teamquinn does too. I like to read both the translation (like NIV, KJV, NASB) and then a paraphrase (like NLT or The Message). The translation shows you what scholars thought was the best translation from Greek to English and the paraphrase shows you one person (or a group of people's) opinions on what it means in modern-day language. Sometimes that helps me understand a little bit better.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:32 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I love to read the Apostle Paul's writings. He was indeed the greatest evangelist in history. I was going to suggest the outline,as well. Paul had his own style,for sure, but he always got the message across. Hope some of these suggestions help you understand it a little bit better.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 4:24 PM on Jul. 17, 2009