Small Business and the end of job creation, jobs, everybody needs one.....

How shortsighted is this?

JULY 15, 2009

Small Business Faces Big Bite
House Health Bill Penalizes All but Tiniest Employers for Not Providing Insurance

WASHINGTON -- House Democrats on Tuesday unveiled sweeping health-care legislation that would hit all but the smallest businesses with a penalty equal to 8% of payroll if they fail to provide health insurance to workers.

Under the House measure, employers with payrolls exceeding $400,000 a year would have to provide health insurance or pay the 8% penalty. Employers with payrolls between $250,000 and $400,000 a year would pay a smaller penalty, and those less than $250,000 would be exempt. Certain small firms would get tax credits to help buy coverage.

mustbeGRACE

Asked by mustbeGRACE at 2:25 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• According to 2006 data from the federation, businesses with between five and nine workers, representing about one million employers, had an average payroll of around $375,000 a year. A report from the Kaiser Family Foundation found that only about half of firms with three to nine workers offered health benefits in 2008.

No mention here of number of employees involved to be exempt.........................

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 2:26 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• It's obvious after the White house refuses to help out CIT wich is one of the largest lenders to small business that Obama is not out to save them or even help them save themselves. All he wants is his agenda paid for
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:31 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• So if you have 10 employees making an average of $15 a hour, you have to pay a penalty or provide insurance. However, if you let TWO employees go, and don't give anyone any raises, you will be okay.

Just perfect. Small businesses will get penalized for expanding, adding jobs, or giving people raises.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:58 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Just perfect. Small businesses will get penalized for expanding, adding jobs, or giving people raises

I am so glad someone feels my pain! I am starting to feel like an abused wife! The government slaps me around almost everyday and then tries to tell me it is all good.

I just made my round of phone calls. Neither one of my senator's answered the phone, it went straight to voicemail. I'm hoping it is because the lines are packed with people like me, not that they have just been turned off. You know, it is easy to delete voicemail.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:25 PM on Jul. 17, 2009