is it ok to sleep on your back still at 11 weeks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• im 30 weeks an i lay on my back all the time but never an get comfy so id say so
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 2:27 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I slept on my back until my 5th month. Then I started getting this pressure that does NOT feel good at all so I started laying on my left side. I'm 38 weeks and I have gotten used to laying on my sides but with side pains and cramping that is experienced the last weeks, it's hard to get a good nights rest! Enjoy it while you can!
    Shamerika

Answer by Shamerika at 2:29 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• 16 weeks is the magic number. That's when your uterus gets big enough that the weight compresses a major artery that take blood back to your heart from your lower body, including the baby. Chances are, when it gets to the point where it's unsafe to sleep on your back, it won't be very comfortable anyway. But you can always put a small pillow under one hip to tilt the uterus and sleep on your back that way.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:15 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I sleep on my back and I'm 12 weeks. I also still sleep on my tummy sometimes, but I'm not very big yet and it isn't uncomfortable.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 4:36 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I'm 18 weeks and I sleep on my back.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 6:34 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• You're not suppose to since like someone mentioned, when you lay on your back the uterus compresses the aortic artery. I'm 21 weeks and sometimes I'll wake up short of breath and realize I'm laying on my back. 

Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 8:36 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Yes. You an until 16 weeks (or 4 months) then it's a big no-no.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:29 PM on Jul. 17, 2009