Did you wait until your baby turned 1 year exactly before introducing cows milk, or did you do it somewhere in the 11 months range? (between 11 months and 12 months)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would give him a small amount around 11 1/2 months to see if there is a reaction. If no, then you're fine. If he doesn't like it then slowly add milk to formula or expressed breast milk.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:55 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I did it at about seven months and he did fine on it.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 2:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I did it in the 11 month range. And we had to take her off of it. She has a milk allergy. She can't drink straight milk-but can have cheese; yogurt and ice cream. *sigh* Fun.
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 2:50 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I started at 11 mo with 2 oz whole milk, 4 oz formula. I increased it by a ounce every week until it was complete whole milk
    Anonymous

• I did what Anon :53 said, I started at around 11 months and added a little more every week until it was all whole milk.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:56 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• My son was around 9 1/2 months,,,,he was allergic to several formulas so I put him on whole milk.
    heyullama

Answer by heyullama at 3:06 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I waited till 1 with all of mine.
    Anonymous

• My son's pedi said to start the transition in the 11-12 month range. You don't have to mix milk and formula, you can do it by giving one bottle/sippy of milk and the rest formula, and then up it to two cups of milk, etc. That's easier if your LO doesn't object to the taste of cow's milk.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:18 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I introduced milk products to my daughter long before 1, but didn't give her milk until she was around 11 months. I gave it to her once to see how she would do (in a sippy cup) and she drank it fine but ended up throwing up, so I didn't give her any more for another month...tried it again and she did the same thing. I talked with her doc and she said that it was normal and just try it once a month until her stomach gets used to it. Next time I tried it she was fine. I would just try it once and see how baby does, if there is exesive vomiting, talk to the doc and don't give anymore until doc gives the ok.
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Seems like it was really close to the one year mark & the last can of formula running out. We mixed 2 oz of milk with 6 oz of formula for 1-2 days, then 4 & 4, the 6 & 2 then straight milk. He did fine, but we were concerned because he was getting the lactose-free soy formula & we were worried if he could drink regular milk. He apparently had outgrown any problems he previously had, and has been fine ever since. Good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 3:42 PM on Jul. 17, 2009