When changing a cloth diaper do you change the cover everytime you change the prefold?

When changing a cloth diaper do you change the cover every time you change the prefold? I'm considering cloth diapering and was wondering so i could have an idea of how much of everything i need.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No you don't have to. You can wipe it out and use it again. When my kids are rockin it granny style I alternate 2 covers. One to wear and one to hang up airing out. You can use a cover up to 4 times before you need to wash it unless its got poop on it.

cloth diapering technology has come a long way since our grandmas used them! I suggest you get a few of each kind and decide from there what you like best. Get a few prefolds and one size covers and a snappi (no more pins!), a couple pockets (i like tiny tush elite), an all in one, an all in two, and a few fitted diapers. Anything you dont like you can sell to get some $$ back. Also, make sure you are using a CD friendly detergent and NO NO NO fabric softener!! or you will hate cloth diapering. You can end up with repelling, rashes, and nasty smells!
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 3:26 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Hmm... I use Fuzzi Bunz and Bum Geniuses, so I don't use covers. But I also use gDiapers (Cloth on the outside, vinyl lining in the middle, and disposable/cloth insert on the inside), and only the inserts need to be changed at every diaper change, so I'd guess the same is true for prefolds and covers. Hopefully someone else will have a more conclusive answer for you.

Good luck!
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 3:04 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• When we are at home I don't use covers. I just have a waterproof mat he plays on and gets washed when soiled. I use the same cover when I use them over and over unless there is poop on it. I just wipe it off with the dry part of the used diaper and keep going.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I didn't

but I had enough covers (8years and 3 kids worth) that I could take it off and let it breathe for a while and use another one. but they were definitely one time uses...
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:59 AM on Jul. 18, 2009