• In the Spotlight:

Stay At Home Moms ARE NOT LAZY!!!

My FIL is the king of making comments about how SAHM's are lazy. I happened to be talking to him today and once again he made a comment about why I don't have any time to do anything. He has said things like, "Why are you so tired today? It's not like you do anything. You don't work. Complain to me about being tired when you get a REAL job." I'd like him to be in my shoes for a week and then see what he has to say about it.

***Please don't think I'm saying being a SAHM is at all any more difficult or better than a working mom...I've been on both sides of the spectrum. A working mother deserves just as many Kudos as a SAHM.***

All I'm saying is I hate it when people assume I don't work hard just b/c I don't earn a paycheck. I hate it when people think just b/c I stay home, all I do is sit on the couch and eat Bon Bons.

Any moms out there experience such ignorance as this???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I work part time and on my days off I get the same treatment from everybody in my house, why are you so tired, you don't do anything, or why don't you clean something, you'll be doing nothing all day anyway.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 2:57 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• My SO used to think I had all the time in the world to cook and clean with a newborn baby. He couldn't seem to understand why I would sleep when the baby was sleeping. Haha! Now he stays at home with the kids while I work and I'll tease him and say stuff like "You're home all day, why don't you do it?" I don't mean it of course. I just want him to realize how I used to feel. He realizes now!

Anonymous

• You can't change your FIL but, you can say...nope, I don't work. I just do laundry, cook, clean, shop for groceries, make sure the kids are clean, fed, have play time...nope I don't do a thing...I'm just like you...grumpy old fart....But, seriously, I'm sorry you are going through this with your extended family members. I believe that family members should show positive attitudes and support. He won't change. So, don't let his negative ways get into your brain. you know you are a great mom.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 3:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• No maybe not lazy but I'm sick of hearing SAHMs talk about how the run a household, clean, cool, and take care of kids when there are plenty of full-time working moms that hold down a 40+hour/week job AND do take care of all the duties of running a household!!!!! SAHMs are not superwomen.
    Anonymous

• they* cook* I typed too fast.
    Anonymous

• As a former working mom I will say that all moms can work or stay home. HOWEVER, if you work outside the home you are always giving second best. Instead of homemade it is semi homemade, you are not giving your everything to your family. I know, I have been there. I am now a sahm. Not by choice. I wanted to work. But in reality, my staying at home has been an incredible blessing to my family and to me. Noone is better then the other. I just think that you cannot do everything REALLY WELL if you are splitting your time up so much.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:15 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I work full time and take of my kids but I don't think I am any better then SAHMs like anon:10 seems to. In fact, i kinda envy them. They get to spend time with their kids which is where I was all day! With my kids.
    Anonymous

• SusieD, since I work outside the home, I don't give second best at home. I just multiply my love and effort so my kids get the benefit!!
    Anonymous

DID YOU NOT READ THE ORIGINAL POST??? THIS POST IS NOT MEANT TO BASH WORKING MOTHERS!!! IF YOU WOULD HAVE READ THE POST, YOU WOULD KNOW THAT!!! HERE, I COPIED THE PART WHERE IT SPECIFICALLY SAYS THAT A WORKING MOTHER IS JUST AS HARD-WORKING.

I hate it when a people comment about a post without first reading it in it's entirety. It is spelled out in black & white for you. Do you not see that??? U must be trying to start drama.
    Anonymous

• Nobody said anything about bashing working moms! Chill out anon :17! Don't get your panties in a wad over someones post LOL!!!
    Anonymous