Is this normal?

does anyone elses baby cup their hand over their ears and place their hands on their head and whine ? She had a double ear infection and i just took her back to the doctor 2 days ago to be rechecked and they are better just a little fluid still in them but the doctor couldnt explain why she will place her hands on top and the back of her head and whine like her head hurts. He says it could be her sinuses starting to develope or teething pains. I just hope its not anything that i should be really concerned about because it is definatly worrying me when she does it many times a day. Btw she is just about 7 monthes old dont know if that makes any difference.

Nychic155

Asked by Nychic155 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's definitely not normal. Something is hurting her but I don't necessarily think it's something serious. Sounds like an ear ache, just take her back to the dr.s and get it checked.
    Anonymous

• i did get it rechecked about 2 days ago there is no infection anymore just alitle fluid they said give it a few weeks and if she continues to do it she might have to see a specialist not sure for what though.
    Nychic155

Answer by Nychic155 at 3:57 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I don't know what it could be other than an ear infection, but to be honest, if my son (he is 6.5months) did that and the doctor couldn't figure it out I would go to another one and get a second opinion. I don't think that's norma and it definitely sounds like your daughter is in pain. Hope she'll get better soon!
    januarymom81

Answer by januarymom81 at 5:36 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I'll tell you - my daughter did the same thing after her first ear infection. She kept tugging and whining at her ears even after the ear infection went away. I think either the pain lingers a little or they've just learned that they get attention when they do that. Don't pay any attention to it, but do try to give her some motrin or tylenol (preferably motrin as it has an anti inflammatory quality) and see if she stops while she's on the pain killer. If so, then you'll know she really is still in pain. However, if she isn't running a fever, the infection very likely isn't bad enough to do any damage...so don't worry too much about it. I would get her re-checked in a week or so if she keeps it up. Good Luck
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2009