Will my moms dog die?

For the last few days it hasn't been eating or drinking water so we took it to the vet and they gave i.v. water the vet thinks it has something wrong with it's pancreas,since it suffers from intestinal disturbances.They put it on a bland diet, took a blood test and x-ray,it's temperture was normal.We are waiting for the test results the x-ray looked good.Can't they keep giving the dog i.v. water or food till they figure out what's wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Pets

• I have a dog with a "tender belly". Wilson was tested for so many things...Pancreatitis was one of them. I asked if he does have a funky pancreas...what do we do? She said they have meds for him that he'd be on for the rest of his life. After numerous weeks of testing, etc....it was just stress...I had moved (this is 3 years ago), and he seemed to have the hardest time adjusting. The other dog had issues for a couple weeks. Stress is a big factor in alot of dogs.
    My own therapy for him is to pick his food carefully and I just put him on a digestive enzyme. No meds.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 3:31 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• It is hard to say sweetie contact me directly if you wanna talk, but you will have to just wait and see what the tests show... I will say a prayer for the furry friend... I know it is hard i love my furry babies sooo much..
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• The most sadest thing is that my mom just a month ago lost her husband to smokers lung cancer and he stopped eating and drinking so it's a really emotional time for her right now.I just can't believe she's loosing her beloved best friend of a dog at this time,it's so unbelievably frustrating!!
    Anonymous

• I should say the chemotherapy made him stop eating and drinking but still,what a awful thing for her to have to go through again!!
    Anonymous

• I read dogs that stop eating and drinking are getting near to their deaths.
    Anonymous

• The vet called and said it has a infection of what I wonder and is it treatable?This dog was abused by previous owners and I'm sure it suffered alot of stress and that caused the possible pancreatitis,good answer Eirelass!
    Anonymous

• The vet doctor can't find anything wrong with the dog,if it were pancreatitis it would be bothered by the doctor holding and moving it's under abdomen,which it doesn't hurt him and normally many dogs are bothered by this.We had to get him a catherer i.v. to get his anti-biotics into him and other fluids,since he's not drinking and to ward off the infection.He will have to swallow pills which he hates doing also.The doctor said this was the best plan for the dog now, my mom doesn't want to have to keep doing this and these treatments are like $700 a visit,what would you do?
    Anonymous

• If it's $700/visit, I would talk with the vet and ask him to be bluntly honest. How many visit, what's the best we can hope for, etc. I would probably end up putting the dog down if I had to keep treating it long term.
    Sometimes I feel people put alot of money
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:36 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• cont.....I think alot of people put alot of medical money into dogs to make themselves feel better, forgetting that they're probably not comforting the dog. What kind of life is it for the dog? Sometimes it's best for the animal to put it down.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:38 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I think I agree that if that's the best treatment they have for the dog (costing 700/visit) it might be best for both your mom and the dog, to have him humanely euthanized. I know it's sad, and would be a difficult decision, but I sure couldn't afford that much money. NOW, on the other hand, I'm not in your moms shoes, and haven't suffered what she recently has. I think it's going to have to be a personal decision and she's going to need lots of support for whatever decision she does make. I wish for the best for you all....pup included.
    boosma

Answer by boosma at 9:59 PM on Jul. 17, 2009