food stamp question

we were getting it for a little while but my husband finished school and got an immediate promotion our monthly amount was going to be only $29..... so I said I'd rather not take it, would rather leave it for a family that truly requires it. Now that I *DON'T* have it, I realized I've never in my life seen a person using an EBT card. Are people shy, discreet, embarrassed? I did 100% of my shopping online so I never had to worry about people looking over my shoulder.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 3:17 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• I see people using them all of the time: grocery stores, fruit market, bakery, ethnic markets...

Answer by rkoloms at 4:50 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I'm the same way. We don't get them anymore b/c now my DH makes too much (even though we still can't pay our bills and still can't afford groceries). I have never seen another person use them, but I was not afraid to use mine at the store.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 3:24 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• i see them everywhere and what the hell you can use them for groceries online?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:27 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• lots of little small town stores around me and Schwanns!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:30 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• i use mine where ever ebt is accepted. its better to have food then starve
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 3:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I worked at a grocery store for years as a cashier and i'd say 6 out of 10 customers paid with their EBT cards, you may not notice, because they get swiped just like a credit card
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• "and what the hell you can use them for groceries online? "

Alot of grocery stores now have where you can order online and just pick up at the store.. It's mostly the bigger chains (Harris Teeter is the only one I know of in my area)
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:53 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• that's the laziest thing i've ever heard, unless you're mentally disabled or physically challenged i don't see why that's necessary.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:13 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Why would you see them using an EBT card? Do you look that closely at what card someone is using when they swipe it through the credit card machine? That is just nosey IMO. I dont have food stamps but if I did, it wouldnt be anybody else's business in line which "credit" card I was paying with
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:17 PM on Jul. 20, 2009