switching to sippy

okay my DD just turned 1 yr. I was trying to wean her off the bottle starting at 11 mo and it just didnt work. but i'm still trying. i need some advice that will actually WORK. A few different ideas so I can try different things. I need to take the bottle away aahh LOL she's too addicted.

btw...she loves her sippy..during the day we give her water out of it and she loves it. but when milk is in there ..she wont drink it

Keeely07

Asked by Keeely07 at 3:40 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my girl was the same way
    juice, water in sippy fine

milk, different story

i gave her milk in a different sippy
    the juice sippy was hard plastic kind
    the milk sippy had a soft rubbery felt to it

my daughter did not have a pacifier so i did not feel like i had to do this over night

but the "special" cup just for milk seemed to help
    at first we did do bottle at night, chilling out time before bed
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 3:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• If she is over 1 she doesn't need formula or milk any more. She can drink water from her cup. She can eat cheese, yogurt and other milk products. She doesn't need the bottle any more.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Her ped told me that they DO need milk after 12 months. I know she doesnt need formula anymore, but she does still need milk. Thats what her ped said.
    Anonymous

• her doc also said
    yes Whole milk no bottle after one,
    2% after two
    but we live in Wisconsin
    Milk is king here

That is good you started at 11 months, she will get it, be patient, wean from bottle except night for a while then soon you can go without then too
    if doc said milk but no bottle at 12 months, what difference does it make if it is at 13 months
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 4:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• ps
    just think some moms breast feed much longer than 12 months, so take your time
    boredmom44

• Is there any thing she doesnt like to drink? Only put that in the bottle. She will quickly decide she does not want it anymore..
    Anonymous

• anon 4:35
    best answer i have heard today

where were you when i was doing the no bottle thing!!!

BRAVO
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 4:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Anon 3:35, Ooooh! That is good....

But to the OP-Yes, absolutely they need the milk fat, calcium & Vit D from the WHOLE milk until age 2. Then they can go to 2% or 1% or no milk at all. But they need the above-mentioned until age 2 years for brain development, and growing bones & teeth, and they typically don't get the RDA of each of these from the foods. It's not that there isn't calcium, but not 500 mg (Ages 1-4) of it IN THEIR BODIES, not in the cup, floor, on the plate, etc. LOL! And w/o the Vitamin D, their bodies can't absorb the calcium into their systems.

Our LO eats like a bird some days & a horse on others, but drinks milk consistently, and if he needs it for the first few years of his life to grow his brain, then that outweighs child-hood obesity, or whatever other incentives for NOT having the milk are. BTW, he's strong as an ox, and isn't over-weight.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:31 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I breastfed for 23 months. My daughter has never had a cup of any milk. We introduced a sippy with water around her first birthday.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• We first used the soft tipped sippys until DD got the hang of it. Then we switched to the hard tops. Now she only gets a bottle at night and we're working on weaning dd from that too. Some days she will not eat much but will chug milk. Good luck!
    StefMc07

Answer by StefMc07 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 19, 2009