• In the Spotlight:

CPR with the kids?

Has any ever been in a situation with your kids where you needed to perform CPR and didn't have the skills? What about teaching your older kids the skills?

JennaSmith

Asked by JennaSmith at 3:44 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Health

• When I took CPR the teacher commented on the number of people who did it (and helped) by following what they'd seen on TV, which isn't done as it should be because they'd harm the other actors. Anyway, she said if you get rattled needing to use it, just go with your instincts combined with what you remembered from class. I know that over the 35 years that I've taken it, that it has changed almost every time. e. Perhaps you should at least teach the kids the Heimlich, and basics of opening the airway. Better yet, maybe they should take a class, if they are allowed to.

Answer by Bmat at 3:51 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I have been (still current) an American Red Cross CPR, First Aid and Water Safety/Lifeguarding Instructor and Instructor Trainer for the past 23 years!

When I was pregnant with my children I taught my husband, mother, and MIL infant/child CPR/First Aid. I require it of ANYONE who babysits my children! I could never live with myself if something were to happen, and I wasn't there yet entrusted my children to someone who didn't know what to do, or make every attempt to prevent the situation.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:57 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• When I was pregnant, my husband and I took infant and child first aid and CPR.

When our daughter turned 12, she took the Red Cross babysitting class, which included CPR and first aid. She is planning to take a CPR refreshed before school starts (she is about to turn 14)

Answer by rkoloms at 6:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2009