is tv okay?

if balanced by Outside Activity.. i dont have a Car. and i do use the tv alot for my two year old son.. and i mean yes i admit alot.. but like today.. he has watched tv since eleven.. so almost two hours.. but then we will go to our apartment pool for a few hours .. come back read.. but then lets say 7 the tv goes on again. till like nine.. thats like four hours of tv every day. if im honest which im being.. but with like at least min. two hours plus Outside.. this has become our normal rountine for the summer..and like min of 4 books a day.. but im feeling guilty bc that is alot of tv time... but i think its ok as long as i get him active and stimulated.. thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well, this is entirely your judgment call. There is no set rule that children of certain ages should watch a certain amount of TV. I'm sure pediatricians and other moms might have recommended times... but as long as your child is still active - I honestly don't see the problem.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 3:58 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• kids learn a lot from tv. my kids can say maybe a dozen words in spanish because they love dora and diego. i hear my 2 year old use them often in daily talk. my five year old likes to watch things about auto mechanics; he trys to ask me questions but he is way ahead of me!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 4:15 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Although kids learn alot from t.v. that can be helpful, there are some things that they learn that they shouldn't. I'm not saying that theres something wrong with kids watching t.v. cause my children watch it too but what I am saying is you should have a healthy balance. Let him be creative and begin having a regular schedule for him. Going walking and exploring the neighborhood is also good for him to do at this age. Playing games, painting, using his creativtiy is also good....
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:42 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• TV is not good for children. There is some good learning programs on there, but don't you think it would be alot better if you, his mom, were interacting with him, teaching him your values, that TV can't possibly convey to him? Spending quality time with him is what makes them well-rounded. Teach him to do the things you do. At two, he can learn to tie his shoes, learn to fold washcloths, hand towels. Put his toys away. Sing songs. Play games with him, like "Mother May I?" , "Red Light, Green Light", "Simon Says". Teach him his colors, count 1-10. shapes, catch a ball, dribble, bounce it. Teach him to stand on his head, do a somersault, jumping jacks and other exercises. Take him for a walk. Go to the library or the park. Lots of laughter. There's a world of learning for him. Right now, are the important years when you still have an impact on him. Enjoy him and invest the time into his life. You'll be glad you did.
    1daughter5sons

Answer by 1daughter5sons at 4:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• If children are regularly getting fresh air, exercise, and socialization, I see nothing wrong with a little tv.. especially if it's educational! We love to unwind with some tv in the afternoon/evening!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 4:48 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• He's way too young for that much tv. There's plenty more to do. The worst part of tv is the advertisements and influence it has on young children. I let my nearly 2 yr old watch 1 DVD episode of Dora or Little Einsteins about every other day and I think that's pushing it.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• My kid watches TV. So dont take it wrong! :) But the less TV time the better! TV shouldnt really be a teaching tool. If you want your kids to learn something then you teach them! :) Sit down & read a book, talk to them & they will learn more words than any tv show can teach...
    1hr of toy time will go farther in a childs mind that 1hr of TV time... TVs wont teach your child problem solving & its been said it hurts their imaginations- instead of using their brain to explore another land, it becomes easier to turn on the TV & sit & watch...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• It sounds like you have a good balance so I wouldn't stress over it, watching t.v. is not going to hurt him.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:01 PM on Jul. 17, 2009