My mother says "witch" alot! (mainly for pagans/witches but all respectful answers welcome)

My mother is a JW. She doesn't cuss. But when she means to say Bitch, she replaces it with witch. This bothers me, and I have told her that. As a practicing witch I don't want her giving my children that view of "Evil women are witches" which is how she uses the term...

How do I go about getting her to stop without causeing a huge issue? Would this bother you? Should I just ignore it? Thoughts please!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'd tell her that i hurts you when she uses the term. If she hates the word "Bi***", then she probably shouldn't be substituting a letter there anyway. The "meaning" is the same.

Is she supportive of you being a witch? If so, just explain it to her how you feel and how you worry your children will view the word "witch" as evil.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Wow thats tough.
    I would be bothered. I used to get offended in college over the same thing. People there did it out of spite though. (close minded sassafrasss blah blah)
    Have you explained how it makes you feel personally?
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 4:11 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I think I would tell her what you told us. Plain and simple, and at a time when neither of you is already emotional or stressed, so it doesn't get misinterpreted as a personal attack.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:18 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I wish I could provide a solid answer, but my mother does the same thing, and I'm in the same place. No matter how many times I tell her that in addition to her, I'm also fighting a culture that LOVES to play witches as evil, mean-spirited creatures, it doesn't help. It's so ingrained in her brain, that I don't think she'll ever stop.
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 4:34 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I'd just have a talk with her and let her know how you feel. Yes it would bother me a great deal. Ask her if she'd ever cuss around your children. Then ask her what she thinks is so different about using the word witch in replacement.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:48 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Id be blunt but respectful.

However, it sounds like you have and she's blowing you off. Sooooo, it could get a bit ugly unless you just wanna drop the subject and ignore her when she says that and then inform your children that what she's doing isnt right but we each have our own will so you cant stop her either.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I would get over it and move by understanding that people think differently than me. I mean, for real, I don't get all stupid and offended when someone says oh my god.
    Anonymous

• Anon, why would you get offended if someone says "oh, my god?" That doesn't even compair? I am going to assume you are Christian just because of the "Oh, My God" refrence. How would you like it if every time someone refered to a nasty evil person they called them Christian, and did so in front of your children? I am a practicing witch. I hate the fact that my mother is giving the word an evil meaning for my children... That's all... I'm not being stupid! I'm simply trying to keep my children from having a negative view of ANY path...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:03 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• NO, my mother is not supportive! She believes that all non-JWs are evil and in cahoots with the devil. Frankly she could care less if I like what she tells my kids. That's why I don't let her watch them. She has NO respect for our views as non-JWs.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:08 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Well, my dh's best friends MIL is a JW and she was always telling them how they were raising their children wrong because they weren't raising them according to HER religion. So, to get her to stop, every time she brought it up, he would say "Jehovah damn it." I know it sounds mean, but it worked. It got her to realise that she was insulting not only them as people but them as parents as well by constantly telling them they were wrong. She began to see the arogance and ignorance she was showing.
    Now, I'm not saying you should do that to your mom. But, it's the same thing, isn't it?
    -Ashley
    P.S. It doesn't really bother me. But, I'm not a Witch and I know it's just a figure of speech.
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 17, 2009