Should I make my daughter go to a college prep. program this summer when she's dreading it?

My 15 year old daughter was accepted to an elite college prep. program last summer. She didn't enjoy it or get much out of it last year, and it lasts for three weeks. In the past year the admin. of this program changed hands and it has gone downhill fast. Plus, we are in a higher income braket and it costs us $ each year. Should I make her go this year even though she will be miserable? She is a good kid and makes excellent grades so I don't want to punish her or make her waste her summer. But my sister's kids are in the same program and she is making me feel bad about thinking about allowing my daughter to quit it. Should I make her go just for the sake of going?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• If it were my kid, I would make her go; but my kid would want to go.

that didn't help, did it?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I personally believe that no child should be forced into doing something that they do not enjoy especially if she feels that it did not help her at all and you see the same results. Besides, she is bright and gets good grades I would just let her miss it this summer and enjoy her summer. As for your sister, her child and your child are two different individuals with different minds and goals so you don't have to jump on the band wagon just because she is sending her child there. Make your child happy and you will raise a happy, independent, trusting individual. She will be a success trust me, I raised an attorney (my niece) and she never took any prep courses, graduated top of her class and is an excellent youth defense attorney for abused children.
    Hurtnlostmom

Answer by Hurtnlostmom at 7:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• If she isn't liking it, why would you force her to go? She won't get anything out of it if she is forced and not wanting to be there. Let her be a kid and enjoy her summer, she will have plenty of time for school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:44 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't make her go. Kids need a break in the summer.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2009